RIP Curiosity Duck, June 2018 - January 13th 2021 [Warning! Contains Graphic Images!]

In my experience, the flank region of a duck tends to be fairly bald, and sparse with feather distribution, especially with birds that have poor feather quality. Further supporting this may be simply an anatomical feature, is you mentioned the featherless area is Ipsilateral. It very well could be a wound, I don't think we'll know for sure unless the bird was examined further.

In my experience, the flank region of a duck tends to be fairly bald, and sparse with feather distribution, especially with birds that have poor feather quality. Further supporting this may be simply an anatomical feature, is you mentioned the featherless area is Ipsilateral. It very well could be a wound, I don't think we'll know for sure unless the bird was examined further.
The bald spot on her back is showing broken feathers, with the shafts still in her skin, here is a full resolution picture:
1610829554658.png

This is not something a drake would do during mating. Drakes pull out the whole feather, leaving a puncture like wound behind.
Agree, without digging her out again and examine the spot thoroughly, which don't have the mental (st)ability to do, we don't know for sure, but the evidence is supporting the »grabbed by dog« theory.

The bald spot on her back is showing broken feathers, with the shafts still in her skin, here is a full resolution picture:
View attachment 2492121
This is not something a drake would do during mating. Drakes pull out the whole feather, leaving a puncture like wound behind.
Agree, without digging her out again and examine the spot thoroughly, which don't have the mental (st)ability to do, we don't know for sure, but the evidence is supporting the »grabbed by dog« theory.

Drakes create bare backs on hens, not from pulling, but from their claws. Looks like drake's damage to me, but we'll never know.

Drakes create bare backs on hens, not from pulling, but from their claws. Looks like drake's damage to me, but we'll never know.
OK, but i have never seen that kind of bald spot on any of my ducks before. It will be an unsolved case, just RIP sweet Curiosity.

Back
Top Bottom