RIP Daisy :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by my5hens, Oct 26, 2011.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    I came home from school today to let my girls out for some free time. I noticed there were only 4 in the run, so I checked inside the hen house. No hen.

She was gone and no where in the coop or run.

I started searching the backyard. No hen. Then I spotted her on the grass right on the other side of the yard. She was dead. [​IMG]

I tried to inspect her without touching her, and I really think my Golden Retriever killed her. He is only 12 months old, so still very puppy ish and he LOVES to dig. So I think what he did was he dug a hole under their coop and Lucy slipped out. Since he is still a puppy he probably played too rough with her and killed her. I'm assuming it was her because nothing ate her, she is not even chewed up, just bite marks on her neck like he maybe punctured her on accident.

I'm trying not to be mad at my dog because I dont think he was trying to be vicious, he just gets carried away when he plays because he's still young. He loves to play and the more something makes noise the more reved up he can get so I'm sure to him she was a squeak toy.
    But I'm so sad. They were my pets.

2. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    So sorry. [​IMG]
    But you should be commended for realizing your dog was just being a dumb pup and not being too hard on him (I hope).

3. friedbluebanana

friedbluebanana Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Oh no! Poor Daisy! I am so sorry. I hope you are able to protect the rest of them until your pup gets a little older and more calm. Some hardware cloth on the ground to keep him from digging there?

RIP Daisy

4. emmak

emmak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    So sorry for your loss. I had a beautiful little white bantam silkie named Daisy (after my Grandma). One morning I came out to the coop and she was dead. So sad. . .

5. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Guinea and Chicken raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    stuff like that happened to me too.
    i lost a few a while ago and I didn't have a cam then to take pics, sadly. I lost like 6 hens and 2 roosters., well one night a dog killed those two roosters and many hens out of a dozen or so more so than dozen hens, and only 3 survived. but periodically, I have a chicken going missing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by