RIP Godiva, gone too soon :( pic heavy

cat_named_noodles

Songster
10 Years
Nov 20, 2009
Wimberley, TX
Went out today to let the birds out and had a really bad feeling since only 4 came running out into the yard. I was hoping she was just laying an egg, but there she was, lying on the ground in the run, as if she were just taking a nap. But Godiva, my SLW, was pale, stiff, and lifeless. I carefully picked her up and looked over her body, but saw no signs of struggle or injury. She was only 7 months old. Maybe it was the heat, or a heart attack, all I know she's gone, and I won't be getting anymore light brown eggs or chicken cuddles from her. I miss her so.
RIP Godiva "G"
100_4996.jpg

100_4977.jpg

100_4388.jpg

100_3841.jpg

100_3787.jpg

100_2007.jpg

her first egg:
100_5032.jpg

It was very likely this heat we're having. I have been hearing of ALOT of chickens dying the past few weeks from this heat wave and humidity - and it tends to be the heavier breeds - brahmas, standard cochins, wyndottes, buff orphs, etc... I am thinking they have so much meat and feather fluff its harder for them to cool down.
sad.png
my poor little silkies are having a tough time of it - i'm refilling water or adding ice 3 times a day - and my coop is smallish and the back completely comes down (whole wall) so i've been leaving the back wall laying down to let the mama hen and broody hen have some fresh air circulation and stuck a fan out there today since we hit 97 with a 107 heat index - only worse tomorrow.
hmm.png

I am sorry for your loss and
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

She could be my Lacy's twin. Lacy was the very first hen I ever lost, to reproductive issues, but we didn't know that till we opened her up. My SLW girl was just over two years old, though. I think that hatchery Wyandottes are prone to egg peritionitis, as many hatchery girls seem to be. I lost two SLWs and a GLW after that. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thanks everyone...I am thinking heat as well. I have one 3 gallon waterer and a 5 gallon waterer and 3 areas covered for shade and there's at least 3 areas where they dust bathe regularly. But I guess it wasn't enough. She was a hatchery bird too, so perhaps it was a genetic thing from inbreeding or who knows. I know it wasn't from being egg bound as she had laid an egg the evening before...
Thanks again everyone for the condolences.

Last edited:
!!!
I'm so sorry! I know just how you feel. Snicker-doodle, my first hen died recently to, I have no clue what killed her. But I feel it's my fault.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom