RIP grandma...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Our lovely and very old white langshan hen died quietly in front of the fireplace this morning. She hasn't laid eggs in quite some time and was very slow getting around the yard the past couple of months. Here is a photo of her last summer with her "man" Hercules.

[​IMG]

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Beautiful hen. So sorry. [​IMG]

3. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Ohh Dear,

So Sorry. She looks lovely.

Jena.

4. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    So sorry to hear that. May I ask how old she was? I am planning on setting all my girls up for retirement. I would not have the heart to cull them once they don't lay. She was a beautiful bird.[​IMG]

5. mandolinmama

mandolinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Urbana Missouri
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG] I know how you feel. Just think about what a good life she had and how lucky she was to live with you. She wasn't a Kentucky Fried Chicken and certainly didn't live in a tiny cage never to be in the sunlight like so many. She was a lucky little lady.
    I hope Hercules isn't too lost without his girl. [​IMG]

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Thanks all. I don't know exactly how old she was...probably upwards of 6 years old. She actually started getting wrinkles around her eyes! She quit laying over a year ago and has had the most wonderful time. Although we'll miss her, she couldn't have wanted for a better life than she had with us. Hopefully we can all say the same thing at our end of life! [​IMG]

We have a little mottled hen sitting on some eggs that is going to be Hercules's new woman after her chicks are hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by