RIP Janis

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by rcentner, Aug 4, 2010.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Janis passed this morning, very peacefully on the front lawn. I wanted her to be somewhere other than the stuffy house when she passed. She was a great chicken.
    I got her with my 1st set of chickens last year, in may. I now only have 2 out of that 6 left. Janis was named so for her talkative manner. She would call the other chickens into the coop when it was time to roost for the night. She would hop on the roost, hop down, go to the door and yell for everyone else. She was our special treatment chicken, my husbands favorite bird right from the get go. She was smaller than everyone else, but had a big personality. Last fall she was mistreated by her flock mates and I had to separate her and put her in the garage. She was garage chicken for a few months while she put weight back on. She loved it when my DH would work in the garage and she got very used to the sound of saw and drills and such. She also became less concerned with the dog and was the only chicken that didn't mind her. We had returned her to the coop with the flock and about 1 or 2 weeks later the fox came and ate a few of her friends. Poor girl, didn't get to be with Fancy anymore. They were like 2 peas in a pod and fancy protected her from the Golden comets that were not the nicest to Janis. I suppose she is with Fancy right now, eating corn.

Just wanted to share this with anyone who cares to read. I loved my Janis and after 2 weeks of tube feeding her, her body had enough. Her last tube feeding was still in her crop this morning. My prayers were answered and she passed so calmly, with me beside her. It has been a long journey and she taught me a lot. She was my angel flying to close to the ground.

fly on janis, I will miss you

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    So sorry to hear of your loss. [​IMG]

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] for you.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG] I understand all too well.

5. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] RIP Janis.

6. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    [​IMG] I was so hurt when a raccoon got in my coop. I am sorry for your loss.

7. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Quote:I know you do, I know you love your Ivy and have done all anyone could ever ask for her. [​IMG]

thanks all

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    So sorry.....RIP Janis....

9. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I am SO sorry- and how loving of you to let her pass in the fresh air, on the green. She sounds like a very special girl indeed!

10. Brahma Mamma

Brahma Mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Sorry for Janis! We lost one of our favorites this year to a hawk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by