1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIP Laddie----Very sad-----Going to have to put a horse down

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 92caddy, Jan 25, 2010.

1. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    His name is Laddie, he is a 18 year old tenn. walker. He belongs to my partner. Hes had him a long time, been all over the place on trial rides with him and camping out on the trails with this horse. Laddie foundered the other day and we just havent been able to get him to come out of it. Hes been up and down, but we cant get him up anymore and his breathing is getting really labored. We dont have the means to left him up where hes at in the barn. Hes in so much pain. I feel its time to have him put to sleep, but its not a call for me to make, but I feel it would be best for the horse. I hate to see him laying there in soooo much pain. I really feel bad for my partner to have to deal with this. I feel really bad both of them. Im trying to be strong for the both of them, but its hard to that at times.

This is the part about having pets that I hate, when they die or have to be put down, it can be soo hard...............

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Beautiful horse. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. It really is the kindest thing we can do for our four legged friends when there's no hope. [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Oh Ed I am soooo sorry!!! I lost my cat Bella this week too!!! I feel your pain!!! [​IMG]

4. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Thanks, sorry to hear about Bella....................

5. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    [​IMG] sending you strenth for this. I know it isn't easy.

6. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    So sorry you both have to go through this. Sending...[​IMG]

7. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Thank you all..................

8. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I know what your partner is going through.
    Several years ago I had that very same choice to make when my 18 year old gelding, Shazam, finally went down from founder and couldn't get up.
    It was hard to do, but I knew he wouldn't recover, and I had to end his pain. I held his head, and talked to him while the vet gave him the shot.
    It stays a vivid memory even now, but I know that it was the right thing to do for him.
    I pulled some of his mane, and I knew someone who made authentic dream catchers, so I asked her to make one using some of his mane.
    It reminds me of the good times we had over the years, and how he always gave his whole heart into everything I asked him to do.

Maybe you could save some of his mane and later have something made with it for your partner. You might want to make sure this would be OK with him, some people don't like that sort of thing.

I'm sorry you both are going through this, I know it was hard on my friends at that time. Be supportive and sensitive. He might take a long time before he is able to deal with this loss.

[​IMG] to you both and to Laddie.

Jean

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  9. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Rafter, Thanks sooooo much for the kind words and for that idea, I had never thought of that, I will do just that, I know that my partner would really like that.

10. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    You are welcome.

Here is a poem, You may have already read it.

The Rainbow Bridge
    Author: Unknown
    There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colours. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge, there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys, with lush green grass.
    When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. All the animals who had been hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. They run and play with each other all day.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they miss someone very special to them, one who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
    You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.
    Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.

Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by