1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIP Lady Buffington.. any raccoon-tapping advice?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lindseythefork, Jul 28, 2011.

1. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Well, we lost a hen to a raccoon the other night.. of course it had to grab my favorite. [​IMG] Now we've got a live trap out there. It's only been one night, but how long do you suppose it will take to nab the raccoon? I have marshmallows and some apples smeared in peanut butter.

Any raccoon-trapping experts out there?? We only had six chickens to begin with, so any hen lost makes quite the impact.

Oh and to clarify: we know it's a raccoon because the night before we lost Lady Buffington my husband awoke to a commotion out in the coop and when he turned the outside light on he saw a raccoon scurrying off along the fence line. Also, I went and talked to a neighbor that has ducks and he said "Oh, a raccoon? Yeah, he lives in my attic." Thanks, neighbor.

2. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Marshmallows and tuna mixed with cat food in a large live trap.
    Works every time for me.

3. lindseythefork

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    You don't end up trapping your cat? I REALLY don't want to trap my cat and miss an opportunity to grab that stupid raccoon. lol

4. bertman

bertman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Yes, I would advise against tapping one of those buggers. They will bite the mess out of you. Plus they can carry rabies.

[​IMG]

Or, you could do the old 'double tap': one to the chest, one to head.

[​IMG]

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

And I'm sorry about Lady Buffington.

If I lost one of my girls I'd go with the double tap.

5. lindseythefork

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Trap and tap, I say. lol

I desperately wanted my husband to shoot it when we trap it, but our neighbor generously offered to deal with the raccoon for us- we just have to toss the trap in the back of his truck.

6. urban-chick-mom

urban-chick-mom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    So sorry about your favorite hen. We have raccoons in the neighborhood and I am worried about my 3 hens running around our backyard during the day. At night they are enclosed in their coop so I don't worry about them. The daytime is when I worry. I know they are only chickens but they are also my pets and I would be devastated if I lost one to a raccoon. Hope you catch yours!

7. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    I tried for a week with marshmallows and peanut butter. They kept getting the bait but no coon in the trap. The other night I just cracked the seal on a can of sardines. It worked! I caught one a night for 3 nights.

Also I started off with a $25 Harbor freight trap. This is what happened.
    [​IMG]

After that I went and bought a Havahart!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  8. urban-chick-mom

urban-chick-mom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    oops! I already posted. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  9. lindseythefork

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    If we don't catch it tonight, I will go grab a can of sardines. I work until 3am and I doubt my husband wants to load up the kids to go get a can of sardines for a raccoon (even though I totally would lol).

10. lindseythefork

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Quote:Yes, they are definitely our pets as well! We only have six (well, five now) so it's a huge impact when one is gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by