RIP Lora

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ozark_chickies, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]

This is Lora. I adopted Lora April 8, 2011. I am so sad that my sweet little RIR is gone. This picture was taken the day before she disapeared.

We are pretty sure the neighbors dog got her, because we found a bunch of RIR feathers in the dogs laying spot, on the property line. Now my whole flock is being punished, because we are afraid to let them free range, until something is done about the dog. When told about the death, the neighbors response was, "my dog would'nt kill a chicken", and they refuse to keep her put up.

2. BarredRock971

BarredRock971 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

3. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwww! [​IMG] I'm sorry! She looks like such a sweet little thing! Hopefully nothing like this will happen again! [​IMG]

4. ozark_chickies

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the hugs. I feel like I let my girl down.We are planning on building a boundry fence when this heat breaks, and are looking for better ways to protect our birds....but it hurts to loose one.

5. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    [​IMG] So sorry. My heart is still aching over the 2 we lost last week so I know how you feel. [​IMG]

6. toysmom

toysmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    I'm sorry for your loss. Yesterday I came home and found a pile of feathers. I lost 2 of my chickens yesterday. Don't know what got them. One of them was my favorite roo. I have sat with my chickens all day today, so that I could let them out of their run.[​IMG]

7. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I'm so sorry that you lost Lora. She looks so sweet.

You take care, don't blame yourself (dumb neighbor!!). Just find a way to protect all your chickens.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry for the loss.Hope there will be no more. My response to the neighbors would be," I hope your right,because the next dog I catch attacking(near them would be enough for me!) my chickens will be a dead dog." This can be a very effective way of getting neighbors to control their dogs.

9. TomGallopavo

TomGallopavo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Hillbillyville, MO
    "the next dog I catch attacking(near them would be enough for me!) my chickens will be a dead dog"

X2

10. ozark_chickies

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:That is the way DH and I are looking at it. I just don't understand people who let their dogs free range the neighborhood, then get upset or go into denial when the dog causes trouble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by