RIP Madonna the silky, Lessons Learned

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickBond 007, Apr 7, 2009.

1. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Tonight my dog broke the neck of my first chicken, Madonna. Madonna had become one of many, but was still the queen of the flock. As she was once a "pet" chicken, Madonna feared nothing, including the German Shepherd. They had been around each other for months and never had any type of altercation.
    But tonight, I left them both outside while we ate dinner. This wasn't a first time occurance, and I never dreamed what would happen did happen.
    So, yes, I'm furious at the dog. He is supposed to be the farm guardian, not the terror of my birds. However, there is only one to blame, and that would be me. You cannot trust an animal to give up basic instinct, however they have behaved in the past.
    So Rest In Peace, Madonna the pet white silky chicken.

What a crappy day.... [​IMG]

2. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    So sorry for your loss. It hurts to lose the hen and it hurts to not trust your dog.
    I have two dogs and I want to trust them, but I agree, instinct is strong and it's just lousy to find it win out.

3. Beed

Beed Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2008
    Ft. Pierce, Florida
    I am so very sorry. Try and not blame yourself. My friend, Sherri, lost her Silkie, Tic, and Cochin, Detoe to her dog as well. They grew up with the dog and it was just natural for them to be together as yours were. Again, so sorry.

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    How old is the dog? my 13, 9 and 7 never have any accidents only when they were pups)... and they are running free with all the other animals here.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I am so sorry for your loss. I understand completely how you feel. I have 4 dogs that I feel like I can trust but since they are animals, they are unpredictable. Don't beat yourself up over it. [​IMG]

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] So sorry about Madonna. [​IMG]

A few minutes ago I came in from checking on the brooder chicks in the garage to find the door from my house to the older chickens' run cracked open and my husky/shepherd dog standing there whining. I almost had HEART FAILURE! If I had been gone for even a few more seconds.... [​IMG] at the mere thought of what could have happened!

7. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:My dog is 11 months old, really just a puppy still, but with a full size 100 pound body.

8. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I am sorry about the loss of your Madonna.
    You take care.

[​IMG]

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

So sorry for your loss.

10. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by