RIP Madonna the silky, Lessons Learned

ChickBond 007

Licensed to Cull
11 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Madison County, Iowa
Tonight my dog broke the neck of my first chicken, Madonna. Madonna had become one of many, but was still the queen of the flock. As she was once a "pet" chicken, Madonna feared nothing, including the German Shepherd. They had been around each other for months and never had any type of altercation.
But tonight, I left them both outside while we ate dinner. This wasn't a first time occurance, and I never dreamed what would happen did happen.
So, yes, I'm furious at the dog. He is supposed to be the farm guardian, not the terror of my birds. However, there is only one to blame, and that would be me. You cannot trust an animal to give up basic instinct, however they have behaved in the past.
So Rest In Peace, Madonna the pet white silky chicken.

What a crappy day....
somad.gif

So sorry for your loss. It hurts to lose the hen and it hurts to not trust your dog.
I have two dogs and I want to trust them, but I agree, instinct is strong and it's just lousy to find it win out.

I am so very sorry. Try and not blame yourself. My friend, Sherri, lost her Silkie, Tic, and Cochin, Detoe to her dog as well. They grew up with the dog and it was just natural for them to be together as yours were. Again, so sorry.

How old is the dog? my 13, 9 and 7 never have any accidents only when they were pups)... and they are running free with all the other animals here.

I am so sorry for your loss. I understand completely how you feel. I have 4 dogs that I feel like I can trust but since they are animals, they are unpredictable. Don't beat yourself up over it.
hugs.gif

sad.png
So sorry about Madonna.
hugs.gif

A few minutes ago I came in from checking on the brooder chicks in the garage to find the door from my house to the older chickens' run cracked open and my husky/shepherd dog standing there whining. I almost had HEART FAILURE! If I had been gone for even a few more seconds....
th.gif
at the mere thought of what could have happened!

Back
Top Bottom