RIP Mean and Lacy

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Honeysuckle, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Honeysuckle

Honeysuckle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Burnin' up in KY
    There are feathers all over the ground in the front yard and in front of their coop. [​IMG] She is the only girl that I haven't saw, along with a SLW but I haven't seen any feathers like hers. The girl I think is dead nickname is Mean, and she's a barred rock. If it's true, were down to only 2 barred rock hens and our rooster. We only have 10 chickens now. [​IMG] I'm pretty sure who did it too, our pregnat cat. [​IMG]

Anyone want to say that the hen is just underneth the house and she'll come out in a minute?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009
  2. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

[​IMG] I'm sorry.. [​IMG] hopefully you'll find her and be able to figure out what exactly happened to her by looking at her to see if it was your cat or not. Can you try to put some goodies out and see if it entices her out (just in case she's underneath the hen house?)

has your cat ever attacked your birds before?

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. I saw your post about "Mean, the BR" the other day. Those BRs are such sweeties.

I hope you find her.

ETA - Unless that's one monster cat, it would have had a tough time dragging the chicken someplace. It's possible the hen will show up yet. Be ready to treat her for wounds, if needed.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  4. Honeysuckle

Feb 26, 2009
    Burnin' up in KY
    Thanks everyone.

I know now that for sure I've lost both of the hens. Their feathers are laying everywhere. A cat would'nt be able to eat a chicken without tons of blood around, so my mother guessed it was a hawk.

RIP Mean and Lacy [​IMG]

5. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    So sorry for your loss. It could also be a stay dog or fox or something like that. Were the chickens grown? Here we only lose young birds to hawks.

6. Honeysuckle

Feb 26, 2009
    Burnin' up in KY
    They're grown hens. The feathers I just found where near the forest but I went to look and they stop a little bit before they reach it though. I didn't see any in the forest, either. Some barred rock feathers are right in front of the house, so that kind of scared me a little. It could be a fox or something like that, it could'nt be one of our dogs if it was a dog. He ran off and if he did stay he would'nt kill a chicken, he's blind. Some kind of disease Beagles get.

7. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    [​IMG] - we just lost our BR yesterday and I absolutely know how heart-wrenching it is to lose them. Thoughts go out to you & your family.

8. Honeysuckle

Feb 26, 2009
    Burnin' up in KY
    Thanks. I'm sorry for your lost too. Everyone loses a chicken at some point I guess.

9. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I was just thinking about my hen Apricot, who I lost last year from a weasel attack...along with her sister and our beautiful rooster. It was one of the saddest says of my life. I cried all night and the next day. Even right now I get a little emotional(trying to hold back tears right now....) [​IMG] [​IMG] I still have some of her feathers that I keep in my Bible...it's sad when i pick them up and hold them... [​IMG]

10. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:I cut 3 feathers off of the tail of our girl who just passed away - our first loss - and put one in the book in which I record garden observances, eggs collected, weather, & birthdays. After we buried her, DBF asked for one. [​IMG] and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by