RIP Mr. Personality

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scgamecock, May 4, 2008.

1. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    [​IMG]

Yesterday our Cornish Rock rooster passed away at the ripe old age of 13 months.I never weighed him but I would bet he was close to 20lbs.He was active until the end and would even come out of the house and sit in the grass and sun when I opened the door.We gave him the name of Mr Personality when he was a chick because he was just so funny and awkward.He always had a dumb look on his face like Gomer Pyle which made us laugh at him.He was bought to be a White Rock but the tags were wrong on the brooders and he ended up being a Cornish Cross but we decided to let him go as long as he could which I think he done very well.His favorite thing was catching popcorn in mid air thru the fence.Good bye buddy and thanks for the laughs.We will miss you!!

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

[​IMG] Sorry for your loss. At least you were able to enjoy what time you had with him.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thank you for giving him a good life.
    I wish chickens were not bred for quick demise (good luck with that, right?!). It wasn't until recently that I learned that some are huge at only 4 short weeks on this planet, then slaughtered.
    RIP Mr. Personality, knowing somebody cared about you.
    JJ

4. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I actually bought 4 of them and he was the last one.The shortest one still lived to be about 5 months old and we also had one to die on Christmas morning which would have made her almost nine months old.I wish I had rationed their food more and they may have lived even longer but it's hard when they stay in the pen with all the others.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry to hear of his passing, Marlon, but he sure had a long life for his breed, which is to your credit. OEGBman had one named Drumstick who lived to be about the same age, I think. RIP, buddy.

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:That would be very hard. You did the best anyone could. Isolating them from their feathered friends might have brought its own set of problems - stresses - for them.
    JJ

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

8. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    I'm very sorry that you lost your friend.

He looks like he was, just as your subject line said, full of personality. I wish I could have seen him catching popcorn in midair! [​IMG]

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I am so sorry. It sounds like he was a wonderful guy. It is so good to see these stories so you have proof that they don't actually "breed the personality out of them" like I hear so many people say. I know you will miss him terribly.

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

What a pretty boy. Thank you for giving him a great life, even though it was short. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by