RIP My Two Cross Beaks

SamanthaBrooke

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 28, 2011
Jefferson, GA
Many of you know that I had two cross beak chicks out of my 31 d'Uccle's, I thought that what I was doing was right by keeping them alive, accommodating their special needs to keep them healthy but my own selfish wants got in the way of their needs for over 3 weeks, I could see the pain they were in, they were picked on, they slept alone a lot, they ate and drank normally but they were depressed and out cast, they didn't play, they did not join in on snack time and they feared me the most.

I came to the understanding that what they needed from we was for me to end their pain and suffering and I answered this afternoon with the most humane method I found, starter fluid and a zip lock bag and what people said was true, they slowly just fell asleep and eventually they stopped breathing, they looked peaceful...I will be returning them to the earth in the morning...

My heart is heavy because I feel sad I lost two cuties that people brought into the world but I guess that's just part of it, even though its the saddest, I thank my husband for the emotional support, I am particularly emotional due to being pregnant I guess...

Here was their fair well photo as the warm sun set behind them on our very warm day.

Last edited:
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your precious babies..
hugs.gif

Awww I'm so sorry! Didn't help that I'm listening to a sad song as I was reading this post. I'm almost in tears. I know what it's like to lose chickens. I hope you're doing okay! :( *hugs*

That is a bummer. I remember when I was young my mom always had chickens in the yard and we had a hen that had a beak like that. The mother hen had brooded and hatched her own brood and by the time we found them she was doing fin we had her on the place for a few years. always wondered how she made it.

I am so very sorry. I am struggling with the same thing right now. I have a cross beak Salmon Faverolle. She is almost 1 month and her's is much less severe than your little ones were but I still worry about her constantly and whether letting her live out her life as best she can is the right call. RIP to your little cuties. We just lost a Buff Brahma chick last night to a cat attack. It's been a rough few weeks in our house with chicks. :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom