1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIP Noodles....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DuckFanatic, Oct 25, 2009.

1. DuckFanatic

DuckFanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    AZ
    Last night when I was out loving my new horse I heard one of the hens FREAKING out. I glanced over at the coop.. it was too late for them to be singing an egg song.. I didn't see anything. Then the panicked clucking stopped [​IMG]..... So I went back to brushing Penny [​IMG] Later that night my sister and I were setting up a pen for the ducks for the night time. When we came out of the coop my bloodhound was sniffing around in a pile of feathers. I almost kept on walking because there is usually feathers along side the fence of the pen where all of the ducks and hens preen, until I saw something in the dimness. A body. A barred rock body. Noodles!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] She has flown over into our yard a few times but luckily we have found her before the dogs. This time she wasn't so lucky... and I blame myself 100%!!!!! [​IMG] I heard it all happening, I could have stopped it, we were talking about clipping her wings again because they probably grew out.... it's all my fault!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] When I heard her freaking out she must have realized that she was cornered, trapped... Poor girl! [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

So sorry about Noodles

Imp

3. chicksrcool

chicksrcool Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    SoCal
    Don't blame yourself. The same thing happened to me...it is a learning experience...just say a prayer for Noodles and tell her you are sorry...it will be OK [​IMG]

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Its very sad and unfortunate that this happened but you now have learned a hard lesson. You cannot beat yourself up too long over this as we all forget or procrastinate occasionally. I bet you never forget to clip wings again or perhaps you can put netting over their pen? So sorry you lost Noodles [​IMG]

5. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Sorry for your loss...RIP noodles:hugs

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG] RIP Noodles RIP [​IMG]

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    That is really really sad.
    It's okay to blame ourselves when we should. It honors their importance and leads us (hopefully) to do better. That said, it's clear you did not want her to get hurt and had you known it sounds like you would have been on the case lickety split.
    I wish I had the power to turn back the clock for you.
    JJ

8. Quillgirl

Quillgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    Metro Atlanta
    Awww. I'm so sorry for noodles. She was obviously well loved.[​IMG]

9. DuckFanatic

DuckFanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    AZ
    Thanks for the comforting words but I will always blame myself... i'm sort of glad that she wasn't the sweetest hen so I didn't bond too much with her [​IMG] She is the only one of our hens that can get out because she is a barred leghorn and she can fly well. I feel so guilty [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by