RIP: Pet fish :(

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by SophieLain127, May 15, 2009.

1. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    So I had a snail problem. They hitched a ride on the plants I bought at petsmart. They multiplied and multiplied and multiplied so I went back to petsmart who told me to put a chemical in the water and kill the snails.... I didnt like that so I drove 20 miles to an actual aquarium store (Aquarium Adventure) it is supposed to be the best. That was two weeks ago. I bought and added 2 skunk loaches supposedly not going to eat anything else but the snails. Flash forward two weeks later. I've now lost 3 guppies, 2 neon tetras, one mystery snail (also not supposed to be eaten). I only have my two skunk loaches and one lucky guppy left. My daughter watches the fish every morning when she eats breakfast she loved to count them. Now she is confused because there is only one she can count (the loaches hide). I explained that they died but she doesn't get it. I miss my fish [​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    aww Im so sorry that must be really awfull for you , some people may not understand but I do , everything that breaths that I bring into my home means something to me even if its just a plant ,
    My suggestion is gett a temparary aquarium with only 3 fish left this could be a little 2 or 3 gallon deal with a filter system nothing fancy put youre fish in it and toss the plants rocks ect everything from youre old tank then pick off all the snails you can put them in a plastic bag or tub after you have removed all you can clean youre tank in the safest but most through way possible . Snails are tenacous , I have had snaills in a bowl , emptyed it out and a few months later added water and fish and gotten snails just popping up out of no where [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good luck

3. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    well everything is gone except for my skunk loaches and a guppy. But I will definately put my plants in with the loaches first so they can eat all the snails then put them in with the other plants.... I'm sure it will work out next time...

4. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    do you think they may have brought in a disease or were they eaten?

oh- the SAME THING happened to me with the snails. know what i did? 100% water change, boil the gravel. kills 'em all dead! and then get corydoras to pick off the cooked snails.

it happened again, and the corydoras ate the snails. i've never had skunk loaches though. i'm sad for your poor guppies [​IMG] and i'm sorry for your daughter. children need to learn about death sooner or later though.

5. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I would also have a word with that store and tell them what happened. Hopefully, they'll feel responsible enough to offer replacements for your other fish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by