RIP "Poopie" May 14, 2003 - April 29, 2009

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickInLA, May 1, 2009.

1. ChickInLA

ChickInLA New Egg

Jan 23, 2007
    I thought I should log-in today and submit a post in honor of my beloved Poopie ...

I believe she led a very happy, long life for a chicken. She was mine since the day after she was born. I came upon her by chance; I had gone to visit an old elementary school teacher of mine and she just so happened to have baby chickens who had just hatched in her classroom. She had Poopie in a separate container, not in the incubator with the rest of the chicks. Poopie was born with a splayed leg and the teacher thought it would be best if she just let her die. I didn't think that was a good option and told her I would take the chick home and figure out how to fix her leg and return her good and healthy. So, I took the chick home did some research, stumbled upon BackYardChickens and got lots of my questions answered. Needless to say, I grew attached to Poopie and never gave her back.

Poopie was an awesome pet, definitely the best one I've ever had and she will truly be missed. She was the topic of many conversations for my family and friends. Living in Los Angeles, California, chickens are not very common "pets" and she was especially entertaining because no one could believe how smart she was and how much she understood me. She was especially great with children, never poked them, no matter how much they chased after her or mishandled her. I could go on and on about her, but instead, I will simply say that she will forever be my "one and only" and I will always cherish the memories I have of her.

Thank you, members, for all of your help throughout the years, especially in the beginning, because I had nowhere else to turn for answers. Everything from building a coop for her to why she was behaving so oddly (which I became to learn was normal behavior for a broody chicken!)

May she rest in peace ...

P.S. The picture that I uploaded of her was taken earlier this year as we sat on the couch and watched the Grammy's together.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! [​IMG]

3. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    [​IMG] It is very heartwarming to read your sentiments about your dear chicken friend Poopie. I am certain she lived a wonderful and full life filled with happy times. I also think it is really sweet that you watched the grammies together!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    So sorry for your loss... [​IMG] Sounds like Poopie couldn't have asked for a better life- after all- you saved hers! [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So sorry to hear of the loss of this member of your family.

Time will heal all wounds...I'm certain that there is another BYCer here who could find you some more chickens to take over your backyard... once you are ready.

God bless.

6. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Awww, she looks like she was a total sweetie! What a great reward it was to be blessed with such a nice pet.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What a terrific story and a lovely tribute. She lived a comfortable life with you and to think, BYC was a part of her beginnings. Thanks for telling her story! So sorry for your loss.

8. lovemychicns

lovemychicns Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    I am so sorry for your loss. I am sending many healing hugs your way.

Karen

9. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I am so sorry about your sweet little hen!!! [​IMG] She looks so sweet!!

10. Shesapip

Shesapip Out Of The Brooder

I'm so glad you had a long, happy friendship! What a happy day it was for you and Poopie, that day you met! [​IMG]

I hope that those happy memories will heal your hurting heart in the coming days and weeks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by