RIP Rascal--sudden car accident death

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Jster, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    Our sweet Rascal, one of our first three chickens, a red sexlink, died today after being hit by a car. It was all so sudden and we're still sort of accepting it, my kids especially. And I'm full of a lot of mixed emotions as well... It's a strange day filled with death and life, as we also candled the eggs under our broody for the first time. Also, it's giving me a lot to think about our part in the process of life, as I'm not a vegetarian, and yet saddened by the loss of this one special friend who happens to also be a chicken. I'm sure a lot of people here can understand.

Here's our beautiful girl, may she rest in peace:
    [​IMG]

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Awww, I'm so sorry [​IMG] It's tuff to lose one.

3. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

I"m so sorry about your girl...

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Oh I am truly sorry Jster. You have had a rough day. Hug those kids, tomorrow will be better. [​IMG]

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so sorry to hear this.
    RIP Rascal.
    JJ

6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I am sorry to hear about the loss of Rascal, she was a pretty girl. Keep her memories alive in your heart.

7. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    So Sorry,

It is hard to be caught in the web of life and now and again you have these crazy days of being faced with the end and the beginning of life.

It is always so hard to lose a friend, someone else said keep her memory alive in your heart and they say you neer die as long as someone remembers you.

Jena.

8. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I'm very sorry. [​IMG]

9. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    Thanks for the hugs everyone. We'll make a garden stone for her today, and I'll spend some time talking with the kids as well, sharing more of our memories. Rascal was the only chicken who would perch on my shoulders...I'll miss her a lot. She was also the only one who's pecked my eye...living up to her name I guess. RIP Rascal

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by