RIP Rita

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by HorseFeathers, Nov 25, 2009.

1. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Today we had to put one of our dearest pets to sleep.

Rita has been battling with internal laying since July. She was one of our first hens, and lived some of her life illegally.

She was three years old.

Rita was the smallest of our hens. But she has- had- spunk like you wouldn't believe.

I don't have to tell you guys what it feels like to lose one of your dearest hens.

If you pray, please pray for her. Otherwise, please just keep her in your thoughts.

This photo is from when she was younger, during the 2008 Coop Elections. It's how I'll always remember her- the spunky red hen who was boss and she knew it.

[​IMG]

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry for your loss, she was all personality for sure, you can see it. We don't need to pray for her, she is home where she belongs, free of pain. I pray for you, that you are comforted in your loss and that your heart heals quickly and you share the love and joy with another that needs you more then she did. [​IMG]

3. muttly

muttly Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2009
    wasatch mtns.
    Sorry for your loss.

4. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    I'm so sad for your loss, Olivia, and that you had to make this heart-wrenching decision.

I'm sure Rita knew how much you loved her. [​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am so sorry. [​IMG] I will say a prayer for her.

6. DebbieLynn

DebbieLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    East Tennessee
    [​IMG] I'm sorry for your loss. She is beautiful! I will say a prayer for you both and thank you for sharing her with us.

7. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] So Sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Olivia, I'm so, so sorry for your loss. I have been thinking about the name Rita for one of our next birds and with your permission, I'd like to use it in her memory. As I said in the PM, every day, I look at that wonderful memorial drawing you made for me of my Violet (who was also head hen at her death), which is framed and on my office wall behind me right now.

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Rita and I would both be honored if you wanted to use her name. [​IMG]

10. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    i am so sorry for your loss:hugs

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by