RIP, Roozilla

brownysfp

Songster
9 Years
Dec 1, 2010
Correze, France
Came back from an Orpington-buying trip to discover a power cut had taken out our electric defences. Johnny the Fox had seized the opportunity in all paws. Roozilla, our massive Coucou-Maran cross, had saved the flock but sacrificied himself in the process. He wasn't the nicest of roos nor the softest on the eye but he was the most eye-catching and the bravest. He'd already taken on and routed a raptor. He'll be missed badly. The contract on the fox goes out tomorrow.

He died with his boots on. Just the way he probably would have liked to go. A valiant roo is worth his weight in gold. Sorry for your loss.

Good luck with the fox.

So sorry to hear.

Still, he died doing what he was born to do -- and valiantly at that. I'd probably get a ceramic roo repainted in his image and keep him out in the yard "on the job".

Just imagine a hawk breaking a talon or a fox cracking a tooth on him.

Three cheers for Roozilla! He did not give up the flock!

Sorry for your loss. I think my roo would go hide under a bush.

So sorry to hear.

Still, he died doing what he was born to do -- and valiantly at that. I'd probably get a ceramic roo repainted in his image and keep him out in the yard "on the job".

Just imagine a hawk breaking a talon or a fox cracking a tooth on him.

CMV...I have been away from the forum for awhile...I don't recall you looking so..aahhh
barnie.gif
frazzled. Are you having predator problems?
lau.gif

I've got a solar fencer that I hope will do the job.

With all the varmints I have in my area, I will not be able to keep chickens with out an electric fencer.

I live in North GA, just south of Chattanooga, TN and like you said...we have about every predator on the list! If you don't have a tight coop to put them up at night, sooner or later you are going to have a major kill. I'm sorry for your loss but it sounds like your boy did his job! I have always wondered how many times a week our roos fight off possibly threats. I would love to have a 24 hr video camera set up on the lot.

It snowed last night and with a wind chill of -7C I wasn't in a rush to let the boys and girls out. Normally I'm out early in my dressing gown with the kettle boiling for my return. Looking at the depth of snow I was thinking it could be a "coop day" anyway when the catflap crashed open and our three cats charged into the lounge, tails like bog-brushes and eyes wild. I ran out in my slippers and there was a fox, a mange-ridden, scrawny grey-whiskered beast trotting across the lawn.
I chased him across a field, down a lane and into the woods before my slippers gave out. That ****** hunt is not doing its job, for one. And thank goodness I hadn't let the flock out.

Back
Top Bottom