RIP Rosie

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by DawnCols, Aug 22, 2011.

1. DawnCols

DawnCols Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    I feel so stupid.

Today I showed the chicken-sitter how to care for my four girls while I'm out of town this weekend. I went through every step of the routine, including how to double-lock the coop at night, because we've had raccoons prowling around lately.

About 8:30 I went to tuck the girls in, and they were still hanging around in the run. I thought, "I guess they're not ready for bed yet."
    At 9:00 it was dark, so I went out again. Girls were still standing in the run in the dark. I had never opened the coop back up after showing the sitter how to lock it. I scooped the sleepy girls up onto the roost and did a head count. 1, 2, 3 . . . no 4. I ran for a flashlight. I counted again. Only 3. Then I saw the feathers all over the ground. We looked around frantically until I saw buff in the neighbor's yard . . on the ground. I found Rosie lying there, still warm, neck broken. [​IMG] Suffice it to say that signs showed I interrupted a raccoon before it could really get down to dinner. [​IMG]

She was just old enough to squat--but hadn't given us any eggs yet (we don't think). She was such a sweet girl, a beautiful buff orpington. I will miss her.
    [​IMG]

2. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    It was an accident and accidents happen. It's not your fault and I'm sure you'll be doubly careful from now on. Don't beat yourself up!

3. DawnCols

Dec 17, 2010
    Thank you. I'm sure I will be doubly careful <wry grin>

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    awe, so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. DawnCols

Dec 17, 2010
    Here's a picture of her

[​IMG]

6. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    She was real cute. So sorry that raccoon got her.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How sad.

8. DawnCols

Dec 17, 2010
    Thank you.

Got up early this morning and buried her with a little bouquet of sourgrass--her favorite treat. Keeping a close eye on the other girls.

9. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sorry Dawn. It is so painful to lose a special hen. We lost one of our Buff Orpingtons this summer as well. I too only had 4 hens and a loss of one seems so huge. She was our favorite. I can tell you we loved her very, very much and we grieved greatly when a raccoon got her. However, as time has passed, the aching pain has passed as well. When we think of her now, we have many fond and wonderful memories. She was 8 weeks when we lost her. Your grief is very raw right now, but it will ease with time. I promise.

Rosie was a really pretty hen, and it is true that we all make mistakes. I have been EXTREMELY vigilant at keeping my girls safe since we lost our Lily, and you will be too. Give yourself time to grieve and soon it won't be so painful. Blessings! [​IMG]

~Kelly~
    My Country Chronicles Blog

10. City Chicken Lady

City Chicken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Mongomery AL
    Quote:I'm so sorry to hear this. We get very attached, don't we?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by