RIP Sally

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Picco, May 12, 2007.

1. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    My favorite hen was killed this Sunday by one of the family dogs. She was a bantam cochin/japanese cross and was one of the friendliest chickens I have ever seen. She knew her name and loved human attention. I've posted about her a few times. She was a great mother and pet. She will be missed.

[​IMG]

Her death has made me reconsider keeping the other bantams I have. I have ordered several standard chicks and eggs so space will be an issue later on. I only have three bantam hens and with all the future large hens on the way I don't want them to be bullied.

Sally's daughter is a blue hen hatched on the 4th of July last year. Her father is a blue splash cochin rooster. She is solid blue and looks like a pure cochin but is only 75%. She was bred for temperment but hasn't been handled so is a bit skittish. Should be an excellent mother.

Bijou is an older mille fleur hen that is very friendly and beautiful. Her plumage is spectacular but her size is a little too large for show. She's a great mother and will make a great pet.

I also have Bijou's daughter. Her father is a blue splash cochin bantam. She looks like a self blue d'uccle with looser feathering. She was hatched on the 4th of July last year and was raised by her mother so is a little skittish.

I would like to find a home for these three. They are pets and I would like them to be treated as such. I would prefer not to separate them. I live near Saratoga Springs NY and will not ship. If interested please post or email me. If I cannot find a home for them I wll keep them, I would just prefer finding a loving home. All three are currently laying well.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  2. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    I'm so sorry for your loss, Picco. Sally was a beautiful bird and it sounds as though her attitude matched this.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

wwwww.......I am so sorry for your loss. She was a beautifull hen. I wish I was closer, I LOVE banties....I have Banty Cochin Frizzles hatching now! Have you made corrections for the dogs area? I hops this doesnt happen again. What a terrible loss.

4. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I am sorry to hear about the lost of your bantam. I don't see why your bantams can't live with your standard chicks. Your bantams would be over them in the pecking order. I have even seen bantams that were dominate in the pecking order boss standard breeds ie Buff Orpington. If you decide to get rid of your bantams I hope you find good homes for them.

5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I'm so sorry Picco for your loss! :aww

I hope you don't have to give away your other bantams. My Millie is a bantam and she is top hen to all the others who are standards!

I'm sure the sudden loss of your favorite has made you want the best for your others, but have you thought maybe about building a separate run for your bantams?

Whatever you do, my heart goes out to you. [​IMG]

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Sorry for your loss. I have bantams & regular chickens in the same pen and my bantams are higher up in the pecking order. Believe me they don't miss a beat when it comes to putting one of the bigger girls in their place! They even run the roo off sometimes.

7. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I also have both bantams and standard hens. They get along quite well. Maybe you could keep these 3 after all. So sorry about your Sweet Sally. She sure was a beauty.

8. Picco

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Thanks for your input. I have decided to keep the blue cochin and just ordered four more cochin chicks. I am still wondering if I should keep the d'Uccles. They are really low on the totem pole and I think they would be happier in an all-bantam flock. I'll keep them for the mean time but I may post an add later on. If anyone is seriously interested in them though and lives in eastern upstate NY, southern VT, or western Mass please don't hesitate to email me. I would be happy to offer them to a good home. Only to people who would raise them as pets though!

9. Picco

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I think they have already been claimed but here are a few pics of the two hens that were up for graps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    They are just Lovely!!! [​IMG]