RIP Sara.... what I learned... anyone experience this before

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladrholman, Nov 7, 2011.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I had to put my Silkie Roo down today. He was having obvious pain, was unable to poop and reimpacting. I had tried everything. Neither my husband or I could do this personally so I took him to a local vet. They don't deal with chickens but were able to put him to sleep and end his pain. The vet determined that he was blocked with a solidified urates. Nearly a golf ball it seemed. I feel so bad for him. She said this can happen, but surgery would have been the only fix. My flock free range, have ample available water and food..... could this have been some sort of genetic thing??? Sara was almost 2 years old. Buried him beneath the old apple tree where he liked to hang out with his girls......So sad.... I was able to be with him and he died in my arms....

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Im so sorry for your loss [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh, I'm so sorry. That's so sad. I've never experienced anything like that. But I only have two hens so my knowledge is very limited compared to this group. I hope someone else is able to offer advice.
    You are a good person for taking such good care of him.

4. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    That is a sad story... I am so sorry, I dont have any info, but [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Aw big big hugs... Xxxx

6. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Thanks for the thoughts. Sara was a great little fella. Been a hard year for chickens around my area. This was new for me though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by