RIP Sid Vicious, my white crested blue polish...

Crittercountry

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 13, 2007
Lenoir City, TN
So Saturday, I was having a BBQ at my house. My chickens and turkey like to hang out on the porch when I'm cooking, waiting for treats from the grill (beer butt chicken this time... YUM). My friend had brought her Rottweiler puppy that killed all her turkeys when she was 7 weeks old. We kept a close eye on her, she showed a little interest, but my dog Brie kept her away from them. So we are cooking, relaxing, throwing bird seed to the chickens, when I hear a distressed rooster. No Roma (my friends Rotweiler). We run to the back, Roma is out in the field. Head count, where is Sid, my cockrel? Now at first, I blamed Roma. But there would have been a body. She wasn't back there long enough. There is a small pile of feathers, nothing major. No sign of prediter. Could it have been a hawk or something then? I would think if it were a coytee, there would be more than just a few feathers, and maybe a trail. Nope, nothing to be found. Sigh... RIP! He was a little nuts, just like his girlfriend, so I named them Sid and Nancy (Sid vicious of the Sex Pistols). Do you think it was a bird, or perhaps something else?

Last edited:
Small pile of feathers? How small? I say a hawk or some other predator from the woods large enough to snatch and run. Unless he was a banty, I don't think a hawk would fly with it. A hawlk got my polish and ate them on the spot... they were only about 3 months old too.

Quote:
He was about 4 months old. The pile was maybe 9 feathers, but obviously pulled out of him. I live in a very wooded, rural area, we have all sorts of hawks, and even eagles nearby. I searched the radius and didn't find any other traces of him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom