1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIP Sinatra

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by helmstead, Oct 13, 2008.

1. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Friday night, my junior buck, Sinatra, presented with sudden onset UC.

We immediately began intensive treatment. There seemed to be improvement Saturday, but Sunday he began to worsen. Overnight last night, his bladder failed and he developed water belly. A drain was inserted in his abdomen to relieve the pressure while we waited to euth him.

Sinatra passed quietly in my arms about 30 minutes ago. He was the sweetest little buck, gorgeous and spunky.

I can only hope the two does he bred about a week ago settled, perhaps I will have a couple of his offspring to snuggle next spring.

Our best hypothesis is that in the happiness of rut, he failed to eat enough of their minerals, perhaps failed to drink enough water. Between that and the weather change...here we are.

Sinatra, my sweet boy...you will be missed greatly.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    That was a great name. So sorry!!! [​IMG]

Sorry but what is UC?

Edited because a buck is not a chicken.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Is UC Ulcerative Colitis? I'm so sorry about Sinatra, Kate. You've had your fair share of goat issues this year.

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Urinary Calculi, or bladder stones.

5. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    i am sorry about sinatra! poor boy, at least you gave him a good life while he was here. and i hope the does settled too, it would be great to have sinatra babies come spring!!!

6. frizzylizzy

frizzylizzy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2007
    I am sorry about Sinatra. I have also lost a goat to bladder stones in the past. I had a baby Nubian that I was bottle feeding and didn't know about watching his water intake when I weaned him. Very painful and very sad.

Elizabeth

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, darn, Kate. My dog Kes had bladder stones. They pulled two pill bottles full (one the lg size) of stones from hers during her operation. I'm very sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by