1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIP Spanky...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Equest94, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Lately I've been dreading my parents calling me... it always seems to be bad news. Just a few minutes ago they called to inform me that my beloved boy passed away - they're not sure how it happened. He was fine this afternoon...my dad let the chickens out because the sun was out and it was warm, but when he went to put them back in, he found him lying in the grass.... no bites, no blood; they think either he choked or had a heart attack? He was only two years old and was such a sweet and lovable guy.

I feel so horrible. I had 2 roosters but gave away one in order to make room for more hens. Now, that this one is gone [too], I guess the girls seem pretty lost and frazzled. [​IMG]

RIP Spanky - I will miss you!
    May '07 -2/21/09

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^^^ the last picture that I took of him.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Oh my gosh he is beautiful. Those photo's almost make me cry. Poor little guy. That is a real mystery. Sorry to hear of your loss, he was a beautiful boy.

3. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

what a handsome fellow....so sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

4. Awwww.. Sorry for your loss... He is a beautiful rooo may he rest in peace..[​IMG]

5. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG] to you. So sorry for the hurt you're feeling.

6. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Thank you all.

I feel so stupid crying over a chicken - my roommates think some close family member died (God forbid) from the way I've been taking the news, lol.

Yeah, his death is a mystery. He wasn't sick, he didn't have any diseases, he hasn't been acting weird at all, but when my dad found him, his mouth was full of mucous - so my parents believe he either choked or had a heart attack...something very sudden, they were only out for a few hours.

Again, thank you for your support and kind words.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Awww. so sorry for your loss. He was gorgeous!

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so sorry. It is heartbreaking. I lost hen Annie this past July to what I'm sure was a heart attack - she had not yet turned 2, and had so adored life. They deserve so much more time to play in the sun. RIP Spanky. Wishing you peace too. [​IMG]

JJ

9. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    It's OK to cry over a chicken. Their little lives can really touch our lives. He was special to you so it hurts.

10. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    So sorry you lost your sweet chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by