RIP Susie :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Robin'sBrood, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    DH found my Speckled Sussex, Susie, dead in one of the shady places where they like to dust bathe this evening. She was only a year old and seemed perfectly healthy. I'm guessing this brutal heat did her in today. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

AWWWWWW... so sorry, I just love my SS's, they are so friendly. This heat has been bad on a lot of them.....

3. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thank you. She was a very sweet girl. She was the low girl on the totem pole and was always picked on by the others so she had a special place in my heart. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm sorry, Robin. I have one SS girl, Nelda. Would be so sad if we lost her, but I'm going to count myself lucky if we don't lose at least one bird in this awful heat.

5. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I am soooo sorry! [​IMG] [​IMG] It's always hard to loose our babies.

6. chickenGRAFFITI

chickenGRAFFITI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2009
    sorry for your loss [​IMG]

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am so sorry you lost your girl. This heat is indeed horrible and very hard on them.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sorry [​IMG]

9. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thanks, y'all. Sure hope I don't lose any more. The heat is down some today but the humidity is up... don't know which is worse, 102* w/ low humidity or 93* with high humidity. Both are [​IMG] to me.

10. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    I am a new chicken owner and have had 5 babies who are now 7 weeks old. I am in KY and this heat thing has been terrible. I do not have my coop yet (will be here tomorrow) but have had them in a 4x4 foot pen. Because of the heat, I move them to my porch where there is a fan and then inside for the night. I get nervous when i see them with their mouths open and all fluffed up. Of course they are always in the shade but still this heat has been bad. It has cooled off today as the rain moved in. Feel so bad when I have to confine them in a smaller space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by