RIP Sweet Hen - Respiratory Infection?

hollyinpa

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
I posted a few weeks back about my older hen, Gladys, who was lethargic/sitting around/breathing heavily but still eating and drinking properly. She's progressed over the past few weeks, but still occasionally will "rest" in the hen house.

Today I walked out to see what the other hens were doing gathered in the hen house to find that one of my younger (3yo) girls had just died moments before. The other hens were surrounding her. I quickly gathered her up so the others wouldn't peck at her body.

She appeared to have thick mucus coming from her mouth - wondering if it was from respiratory congestion. Any thoughts? She showed no other signs of injury and was still limp and warm when I found her.

I expected my oldest hen to die first. Having one of the younger girls die so suddenly is a shock. Should I do anything as a precautionary measure with my other hens?

Any input is welcomed. Thanks so very much.

I appreciate this community - you understand the bond that happens with our hens and their owners. My sweet girl will be missed.

Sorry to hear about, Gladys. Unfortunately, I am going through an issue with one of my hens, and I am trying to figure out if it respiratory or something else. I won't be any help
sad.png
Probably the only advise I can give you is to make sure you keep an eye on the others. just in case.
hugs.gif

Thanks.

It WAS NOT Gladys who passed away. That's what surprised me most. Gladys is hanging in there - my old girl. One of the younger hens passed away. So sad.

I'll keep an eye on the other girls to see if anything else is changed with them.

Do they have a slight rattle? I would maybe put them on some sort of anti biotic to clear the fluid in their lungs or nasal cavity

I'm havving a similar problem at my house.....Anybody have any idea what kind of antibiotic and where to get it?

I got a bag of tetracyclene at the vet clinic. just a small one and it was only $5.60! and it lasts forever because you only use 1tsp per 5L. But that's in Canada so you'll have to check.

Back
Top Bottom