RIP Ugly Betty :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by KauAnnie, Jul 21, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    My fave chick of all time was snatched by a stray cat today. [​IMG] I guess my flaws in the coop and run could have been the problem. How many chickens have you lost to preys in your first 2 months of raising chickens? I have lost 3 and Im thinking about quitting, its so sad to lose a life.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Theyre not very good pics, I have better ones but it wont download for some reason...

Her name is Ugly Betty because when we went to the ladys house to see what kind of chickens she had, the first one I saw was Ugly Betty. My mom kept telling me she was ugly and unhealthy looking but she was so bright orange that she caught my eye. In the car, Ugly Betty started flapping her wings and my mom freaked out, screaming "Ahhhh dont let ugly betty eat me!". I was like OMG mom thats so mean, but really original. She was the smallest of our whole chicken family, maybe thats why she was taken... But its really hard for me and I feel silly to be this sad about a chicken. Thanks for listening to my story, its always good to vent out.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    [​IMG] she certainly has a face only a mother could love. Well, I'm a mother and I think she was adorable! I lost quite a few chickens in my first few months of keeping them, and the losses were my fault because our run wasn't predator proof. Don't get discouraged, just keep in mind that every predator is out to get itself a chicken dinner. Sorry about your chick.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Sorry you lost her.

4. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    It's nothing silly to be sad about a chicken.
    They become just as close to us as any other family member...human, canine, feline, equine, etc.
    It's an odd day when someone pops up and tries to make you feel stupid....the rest of the forum chimes in to defend you though!
    She was very cute and I'm very sorry for your loss, but don't give up!
    You may find a bird who really needs you and you may really need them!
    I know it's cliche, but it's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.
    Those who leave us know they were loved and that is the best gift we can give them...even if it was for a short while.
    [​IMG]

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Don't feel bad! I've lost 4 chicks in a row due to a vicious mother who was ironicaly an excellent broody. These things sometimes happen, and we have no control over where, or when [​IMG]

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:I know you're being kind and trying to help but it's absolutely appropriate for the OP to feel bad, for the pain and terror Betty endured until her likely death, for her life being cut so short, for not having the birds better protected. Feeling bad is an awful feeling but sometimes it's an appropriate feeling. And sometimes it's what helps us do better in the future.

To the OP, I'm really sorry about Betty. Did you see the cat with her? That is, are you sure that's what happened? You've lost 3 in just a matter of weeks? Were the circumstances of the others also a breach in their protection system? have you got survivors in 'lock down' until this is remedied so there are no other losses?

JJ

8. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Quote:I know you're being kind and trying to help but it's absolutely appropriate for the OP to feel bad, for the pain and terror Betty endured until her likely death, for her life being cut so short, for not having the birds better protected. Feeling bad is an awful feeling but sometimes it's an appropriate feeling. And sometimes it's what helps us do better in the future.

To the OP, I'm really sorry about Betty. Did you see the cat with her? That is, are you sure that's what happened? You've lost 3 in just a matter of weeks? Were the circumstances of the others also a breach in their protection system? have you got survivors in 'lock down' until this is remedied so there are no other losses?

JJ

The first chickens I have ever homed were 3 stray ones about 6 weeks ago. I was cleaning and repairing my old rabbit hutch for 2 weeks when 2 chickens got captured by a chihuahua. During those 2 week, my younger brother bonded really well with one. So he was torn... Then my mother took us to this lady who bred chickens and we bought 2, snowball and ugly Betty. We each chose one. The hutch was ready by then. So every morning we'd let them out in a fenced in area and they'd go in the hutch by themselves so I just had to lock it up. I live in Hawaii, so the only predator there are is cat, dogs and owls. Although I live in the more city country so owls are less likely, especially in the day.

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    and mongoose?

10. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Quote:Those are really rare too. I always see them at the crater or ponds, only once by the road.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by