Ripped Comb!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 7L Farm, Jul 3, 2011.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    We had a major storm come thru yesterday I was putting the pullets in the coop so they would be safe. All but one pullet were accounted for I finally found her but her comb was ripped & flopping back & forth. I put her in with the rest but they were pecking her not the ripped comb but just pecking her. I isolated her in a separate small cage in the coop. Should I cut the flopping comb off & keep her isolated OR WHAT?

2. Dirty Farmer

Dirty Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Super-glue it back togather? I've Super-Glued many cuts on my hands before, that should have required stiches. Works perfect for cuts, it bonds skin instantly.

3. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Yes, super-glue works. You should not cut off a comb that's just ripped, it just needs to be held together until it heals. [​IMG] Good luck!

4. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    It's dang near ripped off I don't see how I could glue it back.Should I keep her isolated are what?

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

if its almost ripped off, take an exacto knife, clean the comb really well and cut the rest of it off with the exacto knife. ( if you are the only one doing this, wrap securely in a towel, and hold in your lap between your knees/legs and use one hand to - say your thumb, ring and pinky to stabilize her head still and your middle and index to keep the comb where you want it and take the exacto and quickly surely finish cutting the comb off. tab some blood stop of some kind ontop of the wound, and spray with bluekote to disguised the blood color. let her go, she'll be perfectly fine. Same thing they do to dub game birds.

6. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Ok & thanks. Dr 7L reporting for duty.

7. Gladiator

Gladiator Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Quote:You definitely need to cut off the rest. If you have never done this before I would recomend having somebody else to help you hold the bird for you, that way you are more free of movement to concentrate on the task. I have dubbed chicken before and I still preffere to have somebody to help me hold the bird; it is so much easier that way. Good luck !! [​IMG]

8. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Mission accomplished. She handled it well. I had blood all over me & blu/koit to boot. She now has a name Combless.

9. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

7L whoot, glad it went well - yeah the combs bleed pretty freely for a few minutes but it stops pretty quick and she'll do fine. [​IMG]

blu-kote takes forever to get off X_X good luck [​IMG]

10. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Thanks, she's back with the gang. One thing I've noticed when administering help to a sick or injured chicken is they get really calm & seem to know that your trying to help them. She did yelp when I cut her comb off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by