Ripped skin on chicken! Help! What should I do?

Mar 18, 2019
My chicken got attacked my a rooster, it’s skin is ripped. Happened last night and today it’s swollen a lot and half the face is swollen next to it. Cleaned it with vet spray and water and put silver oxide on it (that’s why the color is strange). Is there anything else I can do? Should I bring it to the vet? It’ll be hundreds of $$$. Picture with the fresh red blood is right after it happened and the other gross picture is the one from 10 minutes ago.

Attachments

• B418E7A3-EE94-4D30-AD6B-AC31216EBE47.jpeg
    B418E7A3-EE94-4D30-AD6B-AC31216EBE47.jpeg
    552.9 KB · Views: 38
  • ADE7842B-0D1D-438C-A42D-4A9C4E0A230C.jpeg
    ADE7842B-0D1D-438C-A42D-4A9C4E0A230C.jpeg
    427.8 KB · Views: 8
My chicken got attacked my a rooster, it’s skin is ripped. Happened last night and today it’s swollen a lot and half the face is swollen next to it. Cleaned it with vet spray and water and put silver oxide on it (that’s why the color is strange). Is there anything else I can do? Should I bring it to the vet? It’ll be hundreds of $$$. Picture with the fresh red blood is right after it happened and the other gross picture is the one from 10 minutes ago.
A vet trip is probably unnecessary, unless she starts showing signs of infection. Her wound does not look bad at all. I have seen a chicken heal from a dime sized hole in its skin with no issues and no vet trip. You mainly want to make sure to keep the wound clean and preferably moist. I usually use a triple antibiotic creme to prevent infection and keep the wound from drying out. Neosporin without painkiller works well for this, off brand is fine too. (Pain killers can be bad for chickens). Besides that just make sure she is eating and drinking and keep her separate from her buddies so that nobody picks on her wound.

It appears like a nickel sized dome of dead skin over a cavity of puss 🤢The swelling went down 😊 and I’ve been spraying it with vet spray and soaking it for an hour wth a pumice made with dandelion leaves. Hopefully this works. Where would I get the antibiotic cream? Hopefully Wilco is open

I whole heartedly agree with triple antibiotic, but I would use ointment vs. cream. Any pharmacy will have it and sometimes even the dollar store, I’ve heard!

You might want to look into why this happened to try to prevent it from recurring. Why did the rooster attack her? Can you prevent him from getting to her again? Has he attacked anyone else?

It appears like a nickel sized dome of dead skin over a cavity of puss 🤢The swelling went down 😊 and I’ve been spraying it with vet spray and soaking it for an hour wth a pumice made with dandelion leaves. Hopefully this works. Where would I get the antibiotic cream? Hopefully Wilco is open
Sorry, I did mean ointment, not cream. You can get neosporin from the medicine aisle in most stores.

I whole heartedly agree with triple antibiotic, but I would use ointment vs. cream. Any pharmacy will have it and sometimes even the dollar store, I’ve heard!

You might want to look into why this happened to try to prevent it from recurring. Why did the rooster attack her? Can you prevent him from getting to her again? Has he attacked anyone else?
Thanks, good idea! I’m selling that mean rooster and let him roam around the entire yard and not behind the chicken fence. Can chickens have cream for humans?

Back
Top Bottom