RIR - 16.5wks Old Roo or Hen

I have a few RiR that have just hit 18 weeks, and they have the same sized combs. But I do think that of the 3 straight run, 1 is a roo. Any thoughts?

Notice the longer, pointier feathers on the neck...

...and pointier tail than the other...

Possible RiR in the middle-right, likely hen middle-left.

I was hoping he would be a meatier bird, I'd like to start breeding RiRs but he's pretty scrawny. I've got several other hens that are pretty big, but a big rooster is critical for a quality dual-purpose, or so I've read.

The real reason that your birds are scrawny and not meaty is because they are not Rhode Island Reds. They are production reds, a generic term for a red colored layer. True Rhode Island Reds will have a "brick" shape to them, and will be dual purpose birds. If you are looking to breed them, please get some good quality, true RIR stock.

Glad to hear that, thank you - I was thinking they looked a bit more like production reds but they were sold as RiRs (that's TSC for you!!)

Tractor supply and other feed stores are very untrustworthy sources for quality birds. I'm sorry you had to be lied to about them, but it is not too late to get some good quality birds. Remember, it doesn't matter what they were sold as, if they don't look like RIR, they probably aren't. If a bird doesn't come close to the breed standards, they cannot be classified as that bird.
There are many great sources of quality RIR that you can buy from. We are lucky to have many breeders devoted to preserving true RIR. If you look around locally, you will probably find some good sources. Or, you could get some shipped. Here are some good breeders you can buy from online:
http://horstmanspoultry.com/largefowlhome/rosecombrhodeislandred.html
http://www.rhodeislandreds.net/About-Us.html
http://www.hilltop-farm.info
http://poultryheavenfarm.weebly.com/birds-for-sale.html

That is a Production Red Cockerel.

What makes this distinction, they were purchased from a hatchery as RIR. I just got a picture from the hatchery of a couple hens that look like mine guess I will have to wait for egg laying time or crowing LOL - very docile big friendly birds for sure.

Last edited:
What makes this distinction, they were purchased from a hatchery as RIR. I just got a picture from the hatchery of a couple hens that look like mine guess I will have to wait for egg laying time or crowing LOL - very docile big friendly birds for sure.

Well, frankly, the real reason if that even though they say they are RIR, if they don't come close to the breed standard, they cannot be classified as that breed. Hatchery bred "RIR" are so far away from the breed standard that they shouldn't even be classified as such. They will make a fine layer and backyard pet, but that is about it. If you are interested in breeding or showing quality RIR, or if you just enjoy pure, heritage RIR, you may want to go with a different bird.

Great sites, thank you for the info. Yes, I got some very good layers from TSC but nothing that I would say is 'heritage'. Looking at culling them when they reach 2 years. I just bought some chicks online from Welp Hatchery, no RIRs but some for eventually breeding for a quality dual-purpose bird. Hopefully they are up to standard.

I have the same generic pullets sold as 'Reds' by Atwood's. A few weeks later I bought another as a 'heavy', but I think it is another red (probably production red). I think it may be a little 'roo'. If it turns out to be a he then I might keep him for my girls. Production Reds are suppose to be good egg producers which is what I want in a bird. They are all sweet, friendly girls at 11 or 12 weeks old. My black sex-link roos are bigger than they are at the same age but probably because they are male. I didn't buy them as RIR so I really don't feel cheated and the heritage thing isn't a big deal for me. It boils down to eggs from the girls and meat from the boys.

Well, heritage breeds are traditionally meant to fill multiple purposes. If you are looking for meat as well as eggs, then heritage RIR would fit those purposes. The livestock conservancy says that heritage, non industrial RIR may be the most successful dual purpose bird out there. The RIR was created with duality in mind. It is a shame that hatcheries are churning out scrawny, single purpose birds and labeling them as RIR.

Back
Top Bottom