Rir 1yr Old Not Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beachchickie, Jun 16, 2010.

1. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Is there anyone else having trouble getting hens to lay. Mine have slowed way down. RIR only laying every third day.

2. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    My 1-year-olds have slowed way down too. Let's see, I'm down to 50% of what I was getting at the beginning of May. Could be weather. Too hot & humid, or too cool & rainy, can do it. For us, it's been cloudy wet March-like weather.

Anyway, our production went down right after I let friends & co-workers know I had a lot of EXTRA eggs. [​IMG] I guess the hens ruled otherwise.

3. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    My egg production dropped from 12-13 eggs (15 hens) per day to 7-8 per day in the last two months. It finally has started improving the last few days. We got 11 eggs today. We had three days in a row last weekend where the sky was an unusual color - blue and there was a big really bright object in the sky. I am suspect the rain and cloudy skies are depressing the birds just like all the people.

I also decided a couple of weeks ago to start changing the water more often. I am now changing it about every third day instead of every fifth day. I have noticed that they are drinking more water now. I have read some posts that suggest that egg laying is tied the amount of water they drink. More water = more eggs. I have no idea if there is any truth to this but I thought it would not hurt to give them fresh water more often.

4. beachchickie

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Well, it is good to know others are having the same trouble. MY RIR is the onlly one one not laying.

5. CuddleBug Ranch

CuddleBug Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Lisbon, NY
    I've noticed a drop in the last couple of days in my six one year old RIR. I was wondering if it was because of a switch from mash to pellets for feed, now I'm wondering if it's just their nature? I was getting four eggs a day and now I'm down to one.

6. beachchickie

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Well how odd. We switched from pellets to crumbles. My 9mo old RIR has not missed a day laying since she started in Jan. Granted her eggs are med size eggs. But she is a laying machine. I don't get it. The oldest chicken I have is actually 15 mo old she only lays every third day now

7. gbinpdx

gbinpdx New Egg

May 28, 2010
    There must be a regional malaise in the Pacific NW...I know I'm fed up with the March weather in June! My two Americaunas haven't laid an egg in three days and the Cookoo Maran is only slightly better.

Like Snugglefeathers in Seattle, I just agreed to give a friend six eggs every week.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by