RIR 2 months old, pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pathognomonic, Mar 9, 2015.

1. pathognomonic

pathognomonic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2013
    This strikingly attractive middle school age chick is supposed to be a pullet, but I'm starting to wonder. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Good chance of roo. I had a RIR who's feathers were growing curled like that. His name is curly!

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am thinking good chance of cockerel too but am not sure. I am thinking I see saddle feathers there.

4. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    OK, I'll get more technical. Hackle feathers on a hen lay flat and are rounded. your bird has pointy curled hackles. He also has saddle feathers draped off the sides of the tail, longer and more pointy than a hen. The disarray of his feathering is normal, in comparison, a hens feathering comes in much more sleek and smooth. His face, comb and wattles should turn red and grow more quickly, very soon. (sooner than hens).[​IMG]

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It looks like a cockerel to me. Sorry. :eek:(

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The feathers are curled, but I'm not seeing any pointiness to the neck and saddle feathers. The comb and wattles are also rather small. I'm thinking pullet.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking pullet for now.

8. pathognomonic

pathognomonic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2013
    Part of the reason I actually took a good look at this youngster is that it has started to get really aggressive over the last 5 days or so. Granted, I've had aggressive pullets too and it's not a great indicator, but it gave me pause.
    A second question regards those crazy feathers, I've not had any other chicks with feathers like that. Do you think that her/his feathers will eventually develop normally? I've had chicks with messy feathering before, but nothing curly like this.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Cockerel.

10. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    My RIR, Curly I mentioned earlier, his feathers are straight now. He is 10 months old but they've been straight for quite a while. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by