RIR 24 Wks/ Rocks 21...No Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sanyijr, Jun 30, 2011.

1. sanyijr

sanyijr Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    Livermore
    I have 3 RIR and 3 Rocks and no eggs. What is the deal?

Do I need to sit down with them an have THE chat? You know, about the birds and the bees? ....Or more like ask them what came first..... The Chicken or the egg? [​IMG]

Or maybe it won't matter....if we have chicken soup for dinner........[​IMG]

Lucky for them, we are having steak tonight!

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    You cannot rush egg laying....some chicks don't lay til they are 8-9 months or more.....They will lay when their body is ready...
    However if you want to start teaching them WHERE to lay...use golf balls or plastic eggs (the kind you use at Easter)....Put it in their nesting box, and see if they get the hint...lol

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Are you sure they're not roosters? [​IMG]

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you do sit them down for THE talk, please post video of it!!!

You sound like I did a couple of weeks ago. I was almost pulling my hair out waiting for them! It'll happen, they can't hold out forever [​IMG]

5. sanyijr

Jan 20, 2011
    Livermore
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ................................yes

Quote:I know.... But I keep telling them.....EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING IT!........ They don't care.[​IMG]

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Explain to them that Jim Perdue is hiring and that he will be stopping by to do interviews. That he is not looking for egglayers. Scared Egg Straight

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

Patience dear...they will lay [​IMG]

8. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    You need to place a sign over the nesting boxes that reads: "LAY OR ELSE!"

Worked for us.

9. sanyijr

Jan 20, 2011
    Livermore
    Well,

I sat down with all my girls..... Had a nice chat, and then got the stink-eye stairdown from my biggest Rock [​IMG] . I think she growled at me.[​IMG] But I gave her a treat and now we are friends again. But still no eggs....[​IMG]

I explained that the racoons have been out these last few nights and if I lose sleep over not having eggs, I might get forgetful and forget to close the coop door. What did I get [​IMG] and the stink-eye. I give up. [​IMG] I guess, since I cannot squeeze the eggs out....I will just wait........................... One day i hope to celebrate... Until then [​IMG]

10. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Quote:I just started reading them bedtime stories from the cookbook when I was so frustrated at the 22 weeks mark. [​IMG]
    I do have an EE who didn't lay until she was 10 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by