RIR, 25 wks, red comb etc. NO EGGS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leasmom, Oct 20, 2008.

1. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Is this normal? I have a another one that is just 16 wks...too, so I am concerned esp. since I need these two to be my best layers...I am currently only recieving 5 eggs a week from another hen. So, why 25 wks and no eggs???

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Same here, but I sort of expected the heritage RIRs to lay a bit later, though I had one before and she started about 24 weeks. I have three of them, also 25 weeks, no eggs yet. Heck, I have a 31 week Easter Egger who hasnt laid one egg yet, so the RIRs are forgiven.

3. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    I have EEs at 22 weeks and one has 'looked' ready for a couple of weeks now. I'm thinking it's the waning light and they might not lay without a little extra lightbulb action right now. Although I do see FIRST EGG posts on here every day?? [​IMG]

4. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    well , LET ME tell you how discouraged I AM .

I have over 100 in my flock .

Majority are 6 - 8 months old . I only have
    6 hens that lay occassionally . Like one day I may pick up 2 eggs . NEXT day I may pick up 5 or 6 .... next day 1 .

OUT of over 100 ?

I have variety in my flock . Rir's , australorps , barred rock , EE's , cochrin bantams , game hens , buff orpington's . WHAT GIVES with the egg's ?

They all are on laying pellets and have plenty to eat and plenty of water . VERY HEALTHY FLOCK , just egg production is WAY DOWN .

5. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    Wow, I see...out of 100. Wow.

Yeah, I have the lights on and I keep them on so that if it rains or gets dark early I have the lights already set, so there's no question. She's very active bird, very healthy with a nice beautiful feathering. I have one Cochin though that is laying like mad, she is the one laying 5 eggs a week, which is unusal unless someone else has and I'm only seeing her but I'm hoping she'll start soon...she is the one I raised myself from one day old and I hate to eat her because she didn't produce anything.

6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    im at around 24 weeks and only 1 RIR laying for the last 2 weeks. 1 EE for about 6 weeks or so, 1 EE for about 3 weeks. 1 EE and 1 RIR nothing yet.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Try looking into the protein content of the feed you are feeding them. Acres of Blessings was having this same issue and I suggested that maybe it was the feed she was feeding them and that maybe she should switch feeds. She did some homework and sure enough! Everything about the feed she was giving them was wrong! To much protein, to much animal by-products, and to much something else (sorry, but I can't remember what the other thing was). Just a suggestion here that might be worth looking into. [​IMG]

8. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:You got a picture of your cochrin? [​IMG]

9. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    Sure do! Suddenly she's laying alot more than she did and she had babies...she was laying 2 a week and now I counted 5 last week. She laid one yesterday and is laying one right now...very unusual for a Cochin.

This isn't the best picture but this is Cheese our Cochin:

[​IMG]

10. bearcat73

bearcat73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    My RIRs were born on April 20 and two of them JUST started laying last week. One of them is laying the biggest eggs I have ever seen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by