RIR 4 months old had first egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ezicash, Aug 16, 2014.

1. ezicash

ezicash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    I noticed one of my Rhode island red gals was making a lot of noise this last week and her wobble was nice and red along with her comb where as the other 2 gals were still light pink and small so i knew she would be the first to lay, but had no idea it would be this soon. Not even 5 months old!

I bought oyster shells but had not even begun to feed this to my hens yet....She is staying on her egg and not eating so what do I do?

Is this natural? Yes my first egg ever....
    A new chicken farmer grandma so yes I am excited.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    She should get off that egg fairly soon after laying. If not, she may "think" she's broody, but as this is her first egg I think her little chicken brain isn't quite into the 'routine' just yet! Did you remove the egg? If you did, that should get her to get off the nest and resume normal activities.

3. dharmasister

dharmasister Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Slidell, Louisiana

So excited for you!!!  My production red is 16 weeks old, has a bright red face and comb and squats when I pet her.  I am anxiously anticipating her first egg!![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  4. ezicash

Jun 25, 2014
    Yes, I removed the egg but she was quaking up a storm and would not leave the nest box. i closed the hatch and peaked in about 20 min later and there she was still sitting in the nesting box..............I am so excited. Does it matter i have not given her any oyster shells yet? May she will lay another egg??? is that possible to lay 2 eggs in one day?

5. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    That's so exciting! Congrats!

I think she's just resting/ recovering. Some of our chickens lay on the nest for a bit after laying an egg. I have suspected a few chickens of laying twice in a day a few times, but, I can't be sure.

I would offer oyster shell freely. They take it as they need it. She should start on layer feed. Occasionally, you can offer crushed, rinsed eggshells back to your laying chickens. You just don't want them to be shaped still like round eggs so they get a taste for egg eating.

6. ezicash

Jun 25, 2014
    She just laid another egg with 30 min of each other....is this normal? The 2nd egg is much smaller then the first.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Funny...I think one of my pullets may have laid her first 2 eggs in a row this morning....I found 2 very small eggs in the junior coop this morning, one broken on floor and one pecked on roost board.

Her pelvic pins have been spread for a week, she's been peeking in the nest while the other 2 new layers are in there and yesterday she got into the nest while someone else was laying but they both got out without leaving an egg. I thought the eggs came from the 2 EE's as they were both bluish, but I'll bet she was backed up from yesterday and popped two out this morning. WiIl have to see tomorrow what they leave me.

It's not normal per say for them to push two eggs out on the same day or that close, but first eggs can be very weird but..... I suppose it might be possible, if highly improbable.

8. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yes.....HIGHLY improbable...

9. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    One of mine laid her first two eggs today as well. One in the run and o e she got in the nest. The second one had a paper thin shell but the first one was OK. Got 4 brown eggs out of my 3 brown layers and I am SURE all 4 were from today. I was pretty shocked.

10. ezicash

Jun 25, 2014
    I forgot to mention that 2 days prior to getting my first hen to lay 2 eggs, I gave all 3 of my hens Encore Layer Booster. Would that have help start my first hen on laying? I also give them meal worms everyday along with their food. I use to give them fermented food but they stopped eating it so i threw the rest in my compost. I just checked their box and found a very very warm small egg almost 24 hrs from my first egg.....that is 3 eggs from the same hen within 24 hrs.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by