RIR 8 weeks old

stilwellchick

Songster
12 Years
Jun 16, 2007
Stilwell, KS
I have 2 RIRs. One is a little larger and has much larger comb and wattles. More than the BRs and Buffs also. The legs are thicker but so are the legs of the other RIR that doesn't have the comb and wattle development. Other than that it acts like a hen, no posturing, dominant behavior or crowing attempts. I haven't had RIRs before and wonder if they just mature differently or maybe I have a roo. My camera is on the fritz so no pics. If someone could send pics of 8 week old pullets and cockerels for me to compare that would be great. BTW I live in Stilwell, KS. Thanks in advance for the help.

Here is one RIR youngster, Scarlett, at 10 weeks old, although she's 19 weeks now.
DCP_6434.jpg

The oldest cockerel I have to show in that breed was about 4-5 weeks old because I sold him just after that age, but here is a pic of him then-note the thick legs already and larger comb than Scarlett at the same age-boy, were they scruffy looking, LOL:
DCP_6039.jpg

DCP_6038.jpg

Thank you speckledhen, I think she/he is probably a roo even if there is no roo behavior yet. I have always thought that noticible diferences in comb and wattle growth was a good clue. Some breeds have thicker legs than others and I was hoping this would be the case. I appreciate the wisdom you bring to this forum.

Back
Top Bottom