RIR and BR cross?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 09northernchick, May 16, 2009.

1. 09northernchick

09northernchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    That is what the lady at my farm store told me. She wasn't sure though. They can tell the sex at birth due to their colouring I believe. Does that make them black sex linked or what does that term mean?

Here they are at two days old and today at 2 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are light beige on the wings at this point and a rusty colour coming through around the top of the wings, chest and neck.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, RIR over BR hen= black sexlink. Those look like red sexlinks, though where the light ones are male, orangey ones are female. Black sexlinks are, well, black.

3. erin09

erin09 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    Your first pic looks exactly like my chicks. I got mixed replies as to what mine are. RIR, red sex-link, production red and even a BO guess.

I'm anxious to see how they how they feather out!

4. aank4

aank4 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Look like red sex links to me, too (sometimes called Red Star, or ISA Browns). I have a red sex link hen, and she looked a lot like your photos. My understanding is that they are produced by crossing a RIR male with a RIW female. If you had a RIR and BR cross, you'd have black sex links, instead of red. (And your chickies don't look like black sex links).

5. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    They look very similar to my Golden Comets (aka Red Sexlinks)! (Please correct me if that is wrong! [​IMG] )

Here are some pics of mine! [​IMG]

They are a few days old here.
    [​IMG]

Here they are about 2-3 wks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here they are at about a month old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by