RIR? and hen or roo...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by meaghan76, Aug 10, 2010.

1. meaghan76

meaghan76 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    I was told the 3 babies are RIR, I'm not sure. They are 12 weeks old. The bigger one I believe is a RIR and I'm guessing about a month older then my babies, I got her(?) from my sister. Any ideas on sex would be great also, I'm leaning toward pullet for all, but I know that's pretty hopeful! Thanks for all your help, I'm totally new to this chicken stuff!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and for good measure: this is Baldy, also from my sister, I believe she's a golden comet. Not sure about age, but she gives us an egg a day for the most part. She was plucked by my sister's dog, hence the shabbiness! She is the sweetest, follows us around like a dog.
    [​IMG]

Thanks again...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

I'm going to say they are New Hampshire. They are a bit too light red to be RIR, well, good quality RIR.

3. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    I second the New Hampshire. Close to a RIR but not the deep mahogany color of a RIR. The black hackles and saddle feathers are a giveaway too. [​IMG]

4. meaghan76

meaghan76 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking. After looking at pics online, they look too light to be RIR. Miss Prissy (the bigger red) is darker than my babies. Any idea on sex?[​IMG]

5. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Big one is a boy.I think he is EE - RIR mix because of Pea comb- RIR and New Hampshire are single combed.Others are girls-Production Red

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    The first pic is some kind of production red cross roo. The pullets are production RIRs. They are lighter in color than the full blooded RIR. They are what you normally get from a hatchery or feed store. Great birds, expect a lot of nice eggs from them. (except from that roo!) [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The first is a cockerel. If he is not single combed (hard to tell from the pic) he's a cross of some sort. The rest are pullets and look like production reds.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The firs on is a cross bred cockerel the others are production red pullets..

Chris

10. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:I agree![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by