RIR and production reds

CathyB

Songster
11 Years
Apr 6, 2008
PA
Could someone post chick pics of both of these? I ordered RIR from my feed store. I have now seen other peoples RIR chicks from MPC and such and I am wondering if I really have RIR's or not. Here is one of my girls at two weeks old. See how the feathering seems to be comming in more tan or brownish than red.

DSCF0769.JPG

Her is another for comparision. See how the one on the left is very yellow with stripes going down her back!
DSCF0772.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Scootersmom. I do have one that its coloring now at three weeks seems to look a lot like yours. I would not be suprised if I have production reds. It does not really matter to me as I am not breeding or anything. I just like to get what I pay for and I was told I ordered RIR not red sex link or production reds. I love my babies no matter what they are! Just want to know!

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Reds/BRKRIR.html

You can look at this site to compare. The Production Reds are listed under Rhode Island Reds because PRs were bred from RIRs. There are some very strong feelings as to whether PRs are RIRs or if they are separate breeds. And by strong feelings I mean that is a can of worms you probably don't want to open! I made that mistake a couple years ago and it got kind of ugly!

I have a production red named laverne She is very tame you can usually find her playing with the younger chickens.
She has a few random white feathers and black tips on her tail.
Great Bird

Back
Top Bottom