1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

RIR and Red Sex Links - differences?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Moselle, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Moselle

Moselle Songster

Jan 17, 2008
    My chick order from Meyer included a RIR, and they threw in one extra chick which looked pretty much exactly like the RIR; I'm just wondering if it's possible that the chick is actually a RSL. They are 6 weeks old now and still look fairly similar, although the "extra" has more light coloring to her (or him, which is a possibility I suppose, but we're hoping not since her/his name is Mary [​IMG] and we really would like to keep all of them.)

2. SeaChick

SeaChick Songster

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    I *think* that Meyer ships same sex/same breed for extras on small orders (at least they do you order via MyPetChicken). Why not call thier super-nice customer service lady and ask if its same sex/same breed?

FWIW, my Meyer RIR has a black spot on her head and black and tan in her wing feathers. She looks more like a "production red" than my other RIR from another source did at this age...

STacey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by