RIR and white rocks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sc anderson, Nov 18, 2009.

1. sc anderson

sc anderson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    Just got a RIR roo, 6 months old. Nice size bird for, 1 1/2 year old RIR hens, and for 3 month old white plymonth rocks and 3 month old Buff Orpingtons hens .. (1)- when would it be time to mate them? (2)- do you think they would make good meat birds? (3)- Past ordered my birds, want to try hatching? First time useing white plymonth rocks ordered 25 form McMurray good looking birds. (4)- Have you had white rocks? (5)-Should I keep a white rock roo for mateing too? Have to keep all my birds in pens for there safety can not free run. Would have to build another tractor for white roo. THANK YOU! always been a good forum to get good info.[​IMG]

2. sc anderson

sc anderson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
  3. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    We processed our first White Rock roo last weekend. He was just a couple weeks shy of 16 weeks and, in my humble, inexperienced opinion, a very nice size. Their legs and thighs are very large, there is a ton of meat on them and this was on a young bird, too. The breast doesn't compare to a cornish X, of course, but it is still a decent size and very, very delicious. I would say the thighs and drumsticks were my favorite though, if you like dark meat they taste fantastic. [​IMG]

We also keep a flock of White Rock hens, and are keeping a rooster so we can hatch our own, too. It will be my first time hatching as well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by