1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR barely laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LovesAGoodYolk, Apr 20, 2017.

1. LovesAGoodYolk

LovesAGoodYolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2015
    Iroquois Cnty IL
    has anyone else ever had young RIR hens (13 months in my case) that just won't deliver the goods? they laid just fine last year, stopped over winter, and now lay very few egg or none at all. they are otherwise healthy and have an excellent diet. I am not having the same problem with the other breeds.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Breeding can have a lot to do with a hens production, so two hens of the same breed can be completely different in egg production. I find most hens lay pretty well for the first season.

The second season seems to separate the good from the poor layers in my experiences. The average to poor layers will take breaks and lay more sporadically than the first season.

It can help to feed a bit higher protein than the 16% of layer to optimize laying, 18-22% seems the best. Sometimes hens come out of the molt, and the winter a bit depleted and need a higher protein in their diet to continue production.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you free range?

4. LovesAGoodYolk

LovesAGoodYolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2015
    Iroquois Cnty IL
    No they aren't laying in the yard. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by