1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR being aggressive

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickman70, Nov 14, 2014.

1. chickman70

chickman70 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014
    Hi, I have a 25 week old RIR being aggressive toward my wife and I. She started laying a few days ago and is pecking at our hands when we pet her and the back of our legs when we walk in front of her also. The weather has gotten a lot colder in the last few weeks(60's to 30's,20's at night in a unheated coop). We let them free range on the weekends and all summer long...when we could. Is there any given reason or is she just being a cranky bird? Thanks for the help.... Chickman

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    New egg layers can act pretty goofy....and most chickens really don't like to be 'petted'...she may calm down once she gets her laying routine down which can take up to a month or so.

I'd just give her a peck back with the tip of your finger on her head/beak....or a soft boot/push with your foot.
    If she continues, grab her and hold her down until she calms, then let her go.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Let's see a picture of this bird. Either you have a cockerel asserting his dominance or you have a dominant pullet showing her dominance.

4. chickman70

Mar 25, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are my girls! I can't remember the other ones breed either.

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    The gold hen is an EE. Only the 2? That can be part of the problem.

6. chickman70

Mar 25, 2014
    Yes only the 2 to start... We are flying under the wire so to speak... This spring I'm getting 5 more! We were told they won't lay unless there are 4 or more but that has been proven wrong. What's the idea behind only 2? Better in numbers?? Thanks for the help!!

7. Percheron chick

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Dominant hens will do better in larger flocks. Keeps them busy and they can spread the love around.

Isn't it funny the advise people give.

8. chickman70

Mar 25, 2014
    Sorry for the ignorance but what does EE stand for? Easter egger?

9. Percheron chick

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Easter egger

10. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I had a very dominant RIR with 12 other hens (including another RIR who was not aggressive at all) and she never got better. Only worse. Pecking me, chasing the other hens, kicking them out of the nests when they tried to lay their eggs and more. I tried giving her a little peck back, and moved on to isolating her in a cage within the run for a few days, carried her around under my arm as I did chicken chores to show her who was boss. It would work for a few days then she'd get bold again. I had to re-home her and I've heard those people had to pass her along to someone else too.

I would just keep an eye on yours and make sure she's not being to mean to your EE. Hopefully she gets better but if not you may have to re-home when you get the other 5 in the spring.
    I think people recommend more than 2 just because if something happens to one of them the other will be incredibly lonely. Try to keep them busy this winter with lots of roosts to hang out on, places for the EE to hide if needed and there are actually a few chicken 'toys' that can occupy them. Like a hanging head of cabbage or putting some cracked corn in one of those dog 'kong' toys.

Good luck with her. Hopefully her attitude changes for the better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by