RIR/BO cross Roo? UPDATE

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by doublebow, Oct 18, 2009.

1. doublebow

doublebow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    I have thought this guy was a roo since he was about two weeks old but my friend who has about 40 yrs experience with chickens says this is a pullet. What do you guys think? His dad is RIR and mom is BO. And he is 12-13 weeks old. Not crowing, but he did start "bocking" today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Looks like a pullet to me!!

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I can't tell either way- just wanted to say that RIR x BO is an excellent cross, and I was very happy with mine [​IMG]

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I think pullet but I do see some saddle feathers.

5. doublebow

Aug 13, 2009
    Ok I guess I don't know what saddle feathers are. Can you tell me where they would be? I looked for pointy feathers all on his back but didn't see any.
    That's good to know, Happymtn! i really like this guy too. He had two siblings that were killed last week and I was pretty bummed about it as I was positive they were pullets.

6. doublebow

Aug 13, 2009
    Ok went and looked up saddle feathers so now I know where to look but I don't know what to look for. His feathers all seem the same.

7. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    that's a good lookin pullet to me

8. doublebow

Aug 13, 2009
    Thanks guys! I do hope it is a pullet.

9. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I think it looks like a pullet. The RIR get their combs early and red! That is probably why you thought it was a roo at first. I tried to get a RIR roo out of the baby bin and ended up with a pullet. Darn! [​IMG] LOL! She's a sweetie, and I ended up with a nice EE roo, anyway. But, she stood taller and just looked rooish.

Congrats on the girl! She's beautiful!

Shelly

10. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    i have a few RIR/BO crosses and that looks like a pullet to me. It is a very hardy cross and mine are big, fluffy and friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by