Rir boy or girl

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrs918, Jun 8, 2011.

1. mrs918

mrs918 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    spokane,wa
    bought as a pullet from feed lot, she's probably 3 months now. Her temperment is nice, if anything I would call her flighty n slightly nervouse. But friendly to us and the three other girls. My concerns are that her wattles n comb seem much redder, and bigger than my br, gsl, n ee. Also her tail feathers have a upside down v shape without connecting at the v , I hope that makes sense . So far no crowing , nor eggs for that matter.

Theyre my first chickens, and I don't have another rir in the flock to compare her with, so hoping you guys can shine a light on it for me thanks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Looks like a hen to me. I have 2 hens just like her. They also grew in fairly large red wattles and combs. They didn't start laying until they were about 5 months old. Now they lay 5 or 6 eggs a week each.

3. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I don't know? I think she is a girl just cause she has those tiny looking legs, the comb and wattles are a little worrysome, but that could be the norm for RIRs she is very pretty though!

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    The comb and wattles are quite good sized! Does "she" ever call anyone for food? Or show any signs of being "boyish"? I would like to see a clearer pic of those neck feathers....I'm leaning toward pullet but...[​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Jury is still out: but I'm leaning pullet

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I'll say pullet. The saddle feathers look rounded.

7. mrs918

mrs918 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    spokane,wa
    Thanks I'm going to stick with pullet [​IMG] unless she starts crowing or something lol

8. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say pullet as well. My RIR girls redded out early, and I've got one about her size right now. My husband calls them teenagers because they're awkward looking.

Blessings-
    Em

9. TGreenhut

TGreenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    Pullet [​IMG] I had some RIR hens that looked just like her. They tend to have large wattles and combs.

10. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    I have Rode island reds the same age too! looks like a rooster to me, my pullets' combs are almost non existent still, yours is red and medium sized, i'd say rooster. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by