1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

RIR broody again

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by weedemnreap, Jul 24, 2010.

1. weedemnreap

weedemnreap In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    When I lost my BO, I figured that was the one hen that would have gone broody....wrong...my RIR went broody in the spring and now she seems to be again. Thankfully, she's a sweetheart and only verbally protests being pulled off the the nest. So, how often do (can) hens go broody if they are so inclined?

2. joedie

joedie Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I have a BO that seems to go broody every 2 months in the summer. It drives me crazy!

3. HarryBun12

HarryBun12 Songster

Jun 28, 2009
    I have an older bantam RIR who seems to be broody more than not this year. Maybe she hears her biological clock ticking?! I was just gently taking her out of the nest and blocking off the nest boxes, but it was disruptive to the rest of the flock. FINALLY, built a box with fencing bottom to cool her down and it works so well. Don't know why I didn't do this sooner. I've read how some hens can get downright nasty when broody, and although our Dumpling would scream at me, she never tried to bite or anything. How such a sweet chicken can become so crabby......

4. weedemnreap

weedemnreap In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    Hmmmm, so maybe it's a heat thing. Of course, in the heat we've been having I can't imagine how hot she must be with feathers AND extra broody heat. She seems to have snapped out of it for which I'm glad; she's my most consistent layer with the largest, most beautiful eggs of all.

Too bad I don't want chicks cuz I'm sure she'd be a great mama hen.

Thanks for the responses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: