RIR--Broody or just scared?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by addiedunn, Jan 1, 2009.

1. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    We have a RIR that was attacked in the fall by something, we aren't sure what. She made it through with a lot of feather damage and a scratch but she hasn't really ventured too far from the coop since then and she was always very outgoing. Now she hangs inside most of the time and has been sitting in the nesting box a lot. She got through her molt beautifully and has started laying again, along with our Golden Comet. (We only have the two, and two roo's). So now we are wondering if her behavior is broody or she is still shell-shocked from her attacker. Yesterday we left the eggs out there. My husband wants to see if she'll hatch a few. Today when I went out she was not on the nest but before I got done with the watering and feeding, she was sitting back on them. I'd love to have chicks from either of our hens, but are we just wasting eggs? Also, they would most definitely be "mutts" or easter eggers. All four of our birds are different breeds. And that doesn't bother us, either.
    But if we go through with this, how many eggs should I let her sit on? With only two hens giving us one or two eggs a day, when do we start collecting them again so that the ones she's sitting on hatch about the same time?
    Thanks!

2. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    Just mark a few for her to keep and collect the rest. That way u know the unmarked ones are for eating and you don't waste too many if she isn't broody.

3. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    If she is broody, she wont be laying so you will know that she is just scared if she still lays.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by