RIR chick behavior

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maryinsc, May 14, 2010.

1. maryinsc

maryinsc New Egg

Apr 19, 2010
    I have four 5-week old chicks, supposedly all female. One of the Rhode Island Reds (the dominant chick) keeps trying to mount one of the black-sex link chicks (the one that seems on the bottom of the pecking order).
    Does this mounting behavior mean I have a boy on my hands, or has anyone ever seen pullets do this? The city ordinance doesn't allow roosters.

Thanks for any feed-back.
    Mary

2. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It's probably meaningless. Many of mine will walk up to a sleeping fellow chick and "mount" by stepping up on them. I think it's dominance behavior, not sexual behavior. A dominant female dog will do that to male dogs quite often, I have one that did that until she became too old and unsteady.

3. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It is meaningless at this age it is more play then anything they are still to young to know what "mounting like a rooster" is that does nothappen this soon as for you not knowing if you have a rooster or not the one sure fire way to know is if it "CROWS" or "LAYS" then you will know beyond a shadow of doubt and roosters are easy to get rid of just post on here a CL and you will find someone to take it off your hands after you hear it crow that way you will know for sure.

My Pullets did/do it all the time so no worries they are just being "KIDS" tormenting each other.

A dominant female dog will do that to male dogs quite often, I have one that did that until she became too old and unsteady

Don't I know it My 7 year old JRT Mounts the face end of my 1yr old Black lab mix it's funny but I stop her all the time doing it one of these days she will figure out that she is a female (I hope) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by