RIR chicks, 3 weeks-M or F? (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carolsmith7878, Sep 10, 2011.

1. carolsmith7878

carolsmith7878 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Versailles, MO
    Hi, are these male or female? The last one (#5) is a supposedly a RIR/Barred Rock mix.

RIR#1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RIR #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RIR #3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RIR #4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RIR #5
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any guesses greatly appreciated. I will update photos in a week or two.

Thanks!

2. carolsmith7878

May 28, 2011
    Versailles, MO
    Anyone? Any ideas, or just too soon?

3. carolsmith7878

May 28, 2011
    Versailles, MO
    Still hoping for a little help. [​IMG]

I will be rehoming all but one male and one female from the bunch (if there is one of both). Subscribe if you are interested and in the area.

I will also be updating these photos every week or so for more clarification.

Thanks!

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

It would be more helpful to have a full side body shot (photo). I don't think there to young just need different photo angles of your cute chicks!
    [​IMG]

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    You said they are rir/ barred rock mixes? Was daddy a RIR? I hatched out Barred Rock/RIR mixes the daddy was BR and they were black or black with barring. I think if its the other way round they would be sex links and if thats the case they are all girls. The boys would be more white.

6. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    Ok-

Those are a mix for sure.... All of them. I would think #5 is for sure a RIR and a Partridge Rocks mix- the coloring is correct for that mix. The others- they could be Rocks mixed jsut lighter in color. The feather color is not a RIR pure- they would not have barring on them. All those chicks have barring. I would say about 85% chance they are all RIR/PR mix.

I do not think they are RIR mixed with BARRED rocks tho.... They would show some black white barring I would think- I think you are more likely a brown colored rocks like the Partridge Rocks.

BTW- I have both RIRs and Partridge Rocks -and they are both beauties- these should be pretty!

I think #1 and #3 #4 are pullets-

I would watch #2 and #5 for roos.

My PR I knew right away he was a roo- he was very "chesty" also very protective of the weaker chicks. But my RIRs all got combs early- still waiting to figure out about 2 of my 8 week olds....

7. crayon

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    I wanted to show you 2 pics so you can get an idea of the coloring that age- these are about 4 weeks...

RIR
    [​IMG]

Partridge Rocks
    [​IMG]

8. carolsmith7878

May 28, 2011
    Versailles, MO
    Only #5 is a RIR/Barred Rock mix. The rest are all just RIR's. I'm not sure how they are mixed, or which one was mom/which one was dad?

I do know that she only had RIRs and Barred Rocks, no other breeds (other than quail) were present at the residence.

Any ideas? I believe that if dad were a RIR, then they would be sexlinks?

#5 does look quite strange if this is supposed to be the case. So Dad must have been a Barred Rock?

I will post pics as he/she matures.

9. carolsmith7878

May 28, 2011
    Versailles, MO
    Hi Crayon,

Just read through all the posts. I had missed yours before my last posting. Thank you so much for that information. I suspected when I got there that they weren't purebred, because the RIR hen that she showed us had a lot of black on her. We are new to this, and really just wanted birds with sweet personalities [​IMG] (which her hen had), and were good layers, so we don't care if they are mixed.

Thanks for the pictures. It all makes sense now! [​IMG]

10. crayon

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    You are saying only #5 is a mix? The other ones are for sure not pure RIRs. They are all barred really heavy. If she only has barred rocks (I also have those) and RIRs then they were all mixed. The RIR pure should be all redish gold solid- you should see no barring at all.

I am quite partial to the barring myself! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by