RIR chicks.....are hatcheries OUT of them???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EweSheep, May 18, 2008.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I have look at several hatcheries for some RIR pullet chicks and found NONE out there...wanted to order 15 or less for my broody Silkie hen this week and to my dismay, looks like all the hatcheries are OUT? Wondered if it is the ecomony or that the demand outweighs the supply or a bad year for hatching eggs.

Hope to get some soon!

Ideal Hatchery, MM, Meyer's, DarkEggs were the ones I looked at.

2. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    Most places are sold out, I keep hearing constantly from people that they are switching to raising their own laying hens. I have 100 RIR pullets coming in by Wed or Thurs but I had to pre-order them from Central Hatchery about 2 months ago.

3. redhead83402

redhead83402 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Idaho
    gosh ~ that's wild ~ but I imagine there are some folks here on BYC that may have some, or at least some hatching eggs for you.
    ~Red

4. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    MCM has some in limited quanities for the 6-23-08 hatch.

5. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    me and my friend are splitting an order from MM hatchery we ordered about two weeks ago and my RIR are gonna be here june 7th

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My Silkie has been sitting on her fake eggs for 20 days now and got nothing to show for her effort. So I have to keep trying![​IMG]

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    One of our custodians at school brought my class 25 RIR eggs to hatch, he has people waiting for every one of them! He is paying us $2 each to incubate them for him whether they hatch or not,,, I can't help but wonder how much he is selling them for! He has a waiting list for those birds.

8. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    It's the Rhode Island Rush

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Try some feed stores in your area..... I didn't know they were so popular, but they are cute!

10. lilcountry

lilcountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    Feed stores not that promising either! i was wondering this same thing, I had a chance about a month or 2 ago to get some and didnt b/c I was suppose to pick come up somewhere else and the hatchery has never sent them! I am still waiting! Every date they set and say they are coming and I call, they never come and it gets put off again. This last time the date got put back to the 28th so now I'll have to wait and see if they come in, if they do I'll be first in line!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by